Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adding a SATA dvd rw to a Dell XPS WHL  (Read 4807 times)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

Adding a SATA dvd rw to a Dell XPS WHL
    « on: May 03, 2009, 06:31:23 PM »
    Is there something that needs to be modified in the BIOS to get a SATA DVD RW drive to be recognized.Doesn't appear in My Computer.Doesn't appear in Device Manager. Power connection working as drawer opens/closes. There are 2 SATA connections on the MOBO-just arbitrarily chose one. O/S = xp pro sp2. This is the only SATA device in this computer.truenorth

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Adding a SATA dvd rw to a Dell XPS WHL
    « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 09:00:54 PM »
    The CD-ROM Drive will show up in the BIOS. But you have to enable enable each IDE and SATA device in the BIOS on many DELL computers.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 07:40:15 AM »
      Geek-9pm,Thanks will check that out and reply.truenorth

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 09:19:55 AM »
        Due to time constraints and other priorities i have not yet gotten back to the Dell computer mentioned in this post (it is my least used computer and has a very specific function connected to an HD TV). However i have been trying to research the internet to add more knowledge to this issue. By doing searches on google and also the Dell site i keep seeing a reference to SATA hardrives being connected to the internal MOBO connectors and NEVER a reference to optical devices. Is it possible that the SATA connectors in this computer cannot be connected to anything but HDD's? Or are they automatically universal like the IDE cables are with regards to both optical and HDD devices? truenorth

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 09:47:55 AM »
        They are universal...same as IDE.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 11:26:30 AM »
          Update. I felt (given that it is pouring rain here today) that it was time to move this topic along.Gained access to BIOS (via F2) Entered "drive configuration' Found that SATA drives (primary and secondary) were "selected "OFF".Not knowing which of the 2 i was connected to i selected both into the "auto" mode.Saved changes and exited the BIOS.Restarted the computer.Message came up indicating "no primary SATA found."New hardware found window opened identifying correctly the SATA DVD rw drive.Next window to open was searching for drivers. Nothing really occurred after that window closed. Inserted a variety of media into the SATA DVD rw drive. All instances the little green light on the front of the drive bay illuminated for a brief period.I could hear the drive spinning up. No windows ever opened on the desktop. No audio/video players ever opened. No audio or video ever displayed.I have windows media player,realplayer.roxio version 5,musicmatch in programs on that computer. Any other info required please ask. Suggestions please. truenorth

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 01:22:20 PM »
            Further update. I could give you a fairly long dissertation as to additional "progress" on this issue but suffice to say success was not the end result.I have contacted the manufacturer and while the individual stated an unfamiliarity with SATA devices he has instructed me to send it back for replacement to them in California.Basically what has ended up is that it recognizes and plays audio discs but does not detect DVD disc when they are in the drive. So i guess it could be a defective video laser? Time will tell and i shall let you know the results when i receive and install the replacement.That may be a while so don't hold your breath.truenorth

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 08:02:17 PM »
            Yep.
            Good diagnosis...sounds like a bad laser after all...
            Best of Luck.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 02:46:27 PM »
              Well "I'm Back" --this one has moss growing on it--but i promised an update when i got my "replacement" SATA drive back. So today the completion event occurred. It's in.It works with all optical media. I guess if i could add to the general knowledge the lesson would be--even brand new out of the box never used products can be defective.Therefore the retention of receipts becomes important. In this particular case the "Manufacturer as part of their return policy insists on it being returned in "all" original packaging. So don't be too quick to toss the packaging if it still is in the warranty period. Thanks again to all that originally came to my assistance,truenorth

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 06:03:22 AM »
              Good Advice and glad to hear you are all fixed up...