Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A couple of things I'm never sure about  (Read 3929 times)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
  • Experience: Familiar
A couple of things I'm never sure about
« on: May 03, 2009, 08:30:36 PM »
I hope this is the correct place to post this question.
It's about signing into websites, it gets confusing as to what exactly you use. Like it says Username (Email)
Then has a place to put your password too.
The thing that is very confusing is do they want you to type the username you just created when signing up for the site, or do they want your email address that you used when you signed up for the site? and then the password that it's asking for, is this the password that goes with your email account or with the site you just signed up for?
The thing that is so confusing is like for my email accounts I have 2 passwords alot of times and gets confusing, because one is the actual password I use to check my email and then the other is password for a different site I just signed up for using that email address. Like [email protected]
I have 2 passwords. Whenever I sign in to check my email I have to type my email address out like I did above, and also whenever I sign into some sites.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: A couple of things I'm never sure about
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 09:24:39 PM »
Some sites, like myspace, want you to use your e-mail address as your login.  You do not need to, nor should you, use the same password as the password you use to log into e-mail.  Ideally, you should have a different password for each site or application into which you log.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Griff

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
    Re: A couple of things I'm never sure about
    « Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 10:40:06 PM »
    I'll try to keep this pretty simple.

When you sign up for a website like Myspace of Facebook, they need a way to identify you. Some websites want you to log in with a user name, while other websites want you to use your email. To these sites, your email is just a way to know you you are. There is no one way to do it. MySpace.com wants you to enter your email, while Twitter.com will let you use either your email or username. Computerhope.com wants your username. It differs from site to site. Most of the time, they will show it like this:

-LOGIN-
    EMAIL:(enter your email address you signed up with)
    PASSWORD:
    OR
    -LOGIN-
    USERNAME: (use your account name)
    PASSWORD:

Those websites do NOT need your email password. When you create a new account, always use a brand new password that no one can guess.

Think of it like this. You go to a business, and give them your house address (like you would an email address to myspace), because you want to become a member, and have them send stuff to you. However, you wouldn't give them the keys to your house would you? Giving the keys to your house is like giving a website the password to your email. They have no business going into your personal stuff, they only need the address to send stuff to you.

Does that help any??
    Don't forget to give thanks if I was able to help ya! Please?