Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: network prob with win xp and win 98  (Read 4665 times)

gandyd66

Topic Starter

network prob with win xp and win 98
    « on: April 27, 2009, 10:38:25 AM »
    I recently set up a small home network with my win xp system and my old win 98. I run them simultaneously with a broadband router and so just used the xp wizard on both machines (IP address assigned automatically) to set up the network.
    Now, I can access the xp computer and its shared files folder from my 98 machine but not the other way around. Most annoying, the main reason for the network was to transfer files from my old 98 to the new xp.
    I'd certainly appreciate any help with this, I've been fiddling with it for days.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: network prob with win xp and win 98
    « Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:48:56 AM »
    Security of the XP System is the reason.... If you create a folder and then change the share permissions to everyone on your local network you may be able to call out to the folder on the XP system from the W98 system.

Only danger with setting up for EVERYONE is that EVERYONE with network access can access this folder.

You should then be able to share the folder as say sharedxp and call it from the W98 system as \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\sharedxp where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of the XP system

The last system I set up was a 2000 Pro to W98 SE network where Win98 was involved with talking to a NTFS secured file system. I believe by selecting to share with everyone you can see the folder then from the Windows 98 system and copy those files.

You can also always just use the Win XP system for all the sending and receiving and the Win98 box is just a file server, not as secure as XP though for data storage due to FAT32, and probably no firewall.

On the Windows XP Box you will have to allow for File/Printer Sharing as well in the firewall exceptions to be able to establish connection from 98 to XP share I believe also otherwise firewall will block.

But if you can see the W98 systems data from the XP system you should be able to copy/paste the data to the XP side.

Archer

Beginner

• Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 11:10:53 AM »
       Have You enabled the common 'access to files and printers' on 98 comp?
    良し! いこう! いこぜ みんな!

gandyd66

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »

Things work fine from the win 98 machine point of view, it's the xp system that can't see the 98. I've turned the xp firewall off and sharing files and printers is default with the win xp cd wizard.
      I just set up a folder in 98 called "shared98" and in my run box typed in "cmd" and then: \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(98 IP addy)\shared98  Just below is what I received.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
      (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Greg>\\192.168.123.136\shared98
      Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is correct an
      d the destination computer is not busy or turned off. If Windows still cannot fi
      nd the network path, contact your network administrator.

C:\Documents and Settings\Greg>

Archer

Beginner

• Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 01:02:12 AM »
           I believe this is much easier than You think.
      At Your W98 system right-click on the 'My network' and select properties; at the first tab click 'Access to files and printers' below and make sure that boxes prompting for 'Files of this computer can be shared' and 'Printers of this computer can be shared' are checked.
      良し! いこう! いこぜ みんな!