Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook express is making me nuts  (Read 3853 times)

sg

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Outlook express is making me nuts
    « on: May 04, 2009, 01:26:26 PM »
    OE is e-mailing all of my previous e-mails every time I send a new one. I've used the "Delete All" in IE tools including "Off Line" and "stored in add ons". I've also run CCleaner.

Searching the web I've found some hints but my OExpress doesn't have "Options" under "Tools". The only way I can open OE is when I'm on craigslist and try to e-mail someone.

What the H is going on?  I have XP Pro,   IE 7.0.5730.13,   OE 6.00.2900.5512   I do regular custom Microsoft updates and usually just the High Priority ones.

Any ideas?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Outlook express is making me nuts
    « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 10:17:01 AM »
    What virus protection are you using? What firewall are you using? Are you using any spyware removal tools?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 02:27:30 PM »
    You can use another email program without losing any of you prior work.
    Many prefer to use on-line e-ail, sometimes called web mail. That's what I now do. After months of using five different email programs, I now just use gmail.
    « Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 11:13:00 PM by Geek-9pm »

dddavis1954

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 01:51:30 PM »
      If you install microsoft office it screwed with your OE settings, Try this:
      Change the default email program to "microsoft outlook" and reboot
      then hange it back to OE and reboot.

FYI, Webmail is in VISTA not XP

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 08:09:34 PM »
      If you install microsoft office it screwed with your OE settings, Try this:
      Change the default email program to "microsoft outlook" and reboot
      then hange it back to OE and reboot.

If you install microsoft office it screwed with your OE settings,

What you're saying is that installing MS Office would change the default email program from OE to Outlook.  I think that depends on how the user doing the installation of Office responds to certain options during installation. But, yes, if Office was installed and the default email client got changed, it could be changed back using your procedure.  However, we no indication so far that Office was installed.

No, webmail simply means accessing an email account via web browser instead of an email client (OE, Outlook, etc.).  For, the Yahoo Mail service is webmail.  Hotmail and Google's Gmail are also commonly accessed via web browser and, therefore, are webmail.   Obviously, the OS has nothing to do with this.

sg

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
        What virus protection are you using? What firewall are you using? Are you using any spyware removal tools?
        Kaspersky IS 8.0, Kaspersky's firewall, no removal tools. Thanks for the reply, sorry to take so long to get back to you and I still have the problem...working my way down the list of replies...still need advice.

Ed

sg

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 09:19:40 AM »
          You can use another email program without losing any of you prior work.
          Many prefer to use on-line e-ail, sometimes called web mail. That's what I now do. After months of using five different email programs, I now just use gmail.

I don't load any e-mails on to my laptop. I just view it all online. I have Hotmail (Personal) and Smartermail (Business)...I don't think Smartermail loads.

The only time I use OE is when replying on craigslist or contacting someone via their website and they automatically go to OE. Otherwise, strictly Hotmail and Smartermail.

Office 2003 is installed but I have yet to configure Outlook. Are the settings to be changed in IE or Outlook. Also, why does my OE not have options and folders that appear to be on other's OE? I could solve this on my own if I could get to these folders and follow steps I've seen posted elsewhere.

Again, the only way I can open OE is by responding to Craigslist posting or "Contact page" on someone's website. How else can I open it?

Thanks
          « Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 09:40:59 AM by sg »

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 10:28:35 AM »
          the only way I can open OE is by responding to Craigslist posting or "Contact page" on someone's website. How else can I open it?
          Is OE on your Programs menu?  If you open Add or Remove Programs from you Control Panel and select Add/Remove Windows Components, is OE shown as being installed?

sg

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 04:32:01 PM »
            Nope, OE is not on the Start menu's list of programs and it's not in Add/Remove programs. Its all very wierd. I didn't have any luck with Search either although I may not be using the correct word/phrase.

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 04:36:51 PM »
            Nope, ... it's not in Add/Remove programs. .
            I didn't say it should be in Add/Remove programs.  I said:
            If you open Add or Remove Programs from your Control Panel and select Add/Remove Windows Components, is OE shown as being installed?

sg

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 04:55:17 PM »
              I didn't say it should be in Add/Remove programs.  I said:

Chill dude...so I missed the word "Components".
              No, it wasn't listed as installed but it is now I all my problems are solved. Thank you for your help. I knew it would be something simple.