Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Restore RAID 1 mirror Please Help!  (Read 2692 times)

Frustrated in Edmonton

Restore RAID 1 mirror Please Help!
« on: May 05, 2009, 11:34:13 AM »
I have a PC that has a broken RAID 1 Mirror.

Dell Inspiron Desktop 531.
Windows Vista Home Basic (piece of Crap OS,
with Windows Vista SP1 & 4GB of RAM, and out of warranty Tech support),
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2.10GHz,
2x Mirrored 160GB Hard Drives - normally just C: shows, now C: & F: (F: Drive should NEVER EVER show).

During a Remote Live Help a Symantec so-called Tech,
 without even the courtesy of pre-Notifying me first,
VERY POOR FORM,
changed things in my PCs Registry
Completely buggering up my PC. 

As out of warranty, Dell will only tell me how to access my RAID Bios for $45.
And Dells Techs are just a goodè as Symantec Techs. ::)
(even though I have instructions and just need to know the keystrokes of how to access the RAID Bios)

Anyhow, after finally getting everything backed up, and re-installing Windows twice,
as I figured that should hopefully re-set my Registry, somehow caused my RAID 1 Mirror to break. 
Thus, now the C: & F: Drive situation.
Plus, 2 sets of Windows installations.
No point re-installing all software until I can fix the RAID 1 Mirror.
Otherwise, just have to do it all over again.

Is there a way I can Restore the PCs Registry, re-format the RAID 1 Mirror and Clean install just 1 copy of Windows.
HELP PLEASE, my livelihood as a lowly Tech Writer depends on a working PC.

Im completely out of ideas,  ???
tried Manuals on Dell Support site - useless.
Ctrl A, Ctrl S, Ctrl F10, etc Do NOT work!
Just cant seem to access the darned RAID 1 Bios to Restore the Mirror.

Background Info

I had been on Remote Live Help with Symantec for a Norton Save&Restore LiveUpdate Issue,
just shy of 2 weeks ago,
and the so-called Tech - more of just a phone receptionist without basic Customer Relations skills
(all based in India with pretty basic skills, as Ive also had the same with so-called Dell Techs,
as seen from me having to prompt them to think outside the box when things are not going exactly the way it is written in the manuals they work off of),
whereby the Techè, without even the courtesy of pre-Notifying me first,
changed things in my PCs Registry
Completely buggering up my PC. 

ie. USB connected Ipod no longer registered, PC freezing after 10-15 minutes of ANY application (ie. even something as basic as Windows Explorer open - which made it really fun to back everything up folder-by-folder to my external backup HD) as even trying to copy major folders to my backup drive would cause PC to freeze.  ARRGGG!

Of course, Symantec says Sorry, but that is a system problem and manufacturer will have to help.
Nothing like being responsible when you bugger someones PC Registry up and leaving cleanup to them.
As out of warranty, Dell will only tell me how to access my RAID Bios for $45.
And Dells Techs are just a goodè as Symantec Techs. ::)
(even though I have instructions and just need to know the keystrokes of how to access the RAID Bios)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 05:44:49 PM by Frustrated in Edmonton »