Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer won't completely awaken  (Read 2490 times)

kwyk

Topic Starter

Starter

computer won't completely awaken
    « on: May 06, 2009, 09:19:36 AM »
    My dell xp system has developed a new glitch. Overnight, or after a number of idle hours, it won't seem to awaken. I can click on any program and move my mouse around, but after clicking on a program, nothing happens. If I try to restart, it seems to want to respond, but the little hourglass comes up next to my cursor and nothing happens. I have to do a forced, hard, reboot to get things running, and then all is fine until another long period of inactivity. Any ideas?

midsail

Hopeful
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: computer won't completely awaken
      « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 05:53:46 PM »
      Try doing a chkdsk, go to C:\ right click> Property> select check disk > select both options and reboot. Let us know the result.

Mulreay

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 08:38:03 PM »
      Can you give some more info on your OS and computer please. Check disk works a bit different on NT so need to know what you are using.

kwyk

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 11:24:52 AM »
        I did the disk check. As you probably know, there are 5 stages: verify files, verify index, security descriptors and usn journal, file data, and free space. All went smoothly with a clean report. I was starting to copy down some data but the screen changed before I could get going. It didn't offer me an actual report of any kind to study. A couple stages took forever, but there were no apparent glitches.

mulreay, what specifically do you want to know? My platform says 2(WindowsNT).

Mulreay

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 11:29:58 AM »
        Hello Kwyk, are you using any anti-virus, malware programmes at the moment?

kwyk

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 11:56:53 AM »
          avg, but it's not new.

Mulreay

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 12:06:49 PM »
          May be worth downloading/purchasing some anti-virus software... just for interest try this

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php