Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: C000218 BSOD-x64,No Disk, NTFS  (Read 3716 times)

runningeagle

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

C000218 BSOD-x64,No Disk, NTFS
    « on: May 04, 2009, 06:38:52 PM »
    Hi
    I have c0000218 registry failure cannot load the hive file.Safe mode,lastgood,nothing
    works. have read pages of information and have become more confused. I have XP x64 and NTFS. I do NOT have the CD but it is genuine.
    I have read about bootdisks, downloading a recovery console and repair installs,on this
    site
    and
    others
    but I don't know what I can do with x64 , NTFS, and no CD.
    Apologies for briefness, I am writing on a PSP. I will have access to PC tomorrow.

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

• Experience: Experienced
    Re: C000218 BSOD-x64,No Disk, NTFS
    « Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 08:34:02 PM »
    Hey there, is your computer a name brand or a home built computer? If it is a name brand you can easily go to the manufacturer website and order recovery disks for about $15.

Past that you may need to post as much information you can about your computer and what did or what may have caused this.
    CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!

runningeagle

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 07:33:41 AM »
      Hello,
      The computer is a Soltek Qbic. It has been having BSODs and_corrupt_files
      when running games, so I ran a couple chkdsk and then Auslogic Defrag. The computer restarted successfully once, and then I think it did chkdsk and had c0000218 right afterwards.           

Thank you for your help.

runningeagle

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 05:36:13 PM »
        I have the recovery console on a CD, should I use it to do chkdsk or the series of commands involving deleting and copying files?

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 09:13:33 PM »
        Well I was looking for something like Dell, Gateway ect... Those you can easily get recover disks for. Googled your computer and from what I saw its home built or did some form of Windows come with it? Do you remember anything you could have changed before this error?

runningeagle

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »

Yes, I can't even find a working website for the company. I don't think he homebuilt it, but I would not be surprised.The computer is my brother's old computer,  and he does not have the CD, so I assume it never had one.

This is a vague timeline of what happened before the error.
          1. A month ago, I ran a virus scan after suspecting my flash drive was infected. I ran Spybot Search and Destroy and Spyware Terminator.
          2. After that, I had BSODs when running the computer for about 20 minutes, and immediately if watching an online video or game.
          3. After updating various drivers and changing memory management, the computer would not fail when doing normal use, only when running games (single player games worked, but not online games.)
          4. I started getting much more "Corrupt files please run chkdsk" on various files, and only an occasional BSOD.
          5. I read about Disk Defragmenting and I think this is a good idea. My Add/remove programs never worked, so I had to delete folders to uninstall, which I suppose left many fragments. I ran the Windows Disk Defrag program, but it had an error and closed. I downloaded Auslogic Disk Defrag, and it went much faster and worked. It said after defragging the C: drive (which windows is on) that speed was improved 9% and the D: drive 18%. I thought this was good, and my problems were solved.
          6. A couple restarts later, I get this error. I tried safe mode, then last good configuration, but nothing worked.

I need to print Word files off of it before Monday, so I am really getting nervous.

I have read of several cures that might work, but I am concerned whether they will work for my specific problem.
          1. Repair install with CD (I am talking to friends to borrow one, but apparently XP x64 is not popular).
          2. Recovery console (I have it on a CD, but I don't know whether to do chkdsk or a series of commands as listed in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545).
          3. Bootdisks

Thank you for your help.

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 03:03:01 PM »
          Well as far as printing files off I have a temporary soultion. You can download and burn a disk of Ubuntu. Its a linux disk that can run right from the cd-rom without being installed. Just put it in and boot from cd-rom. There is several different boot options in Ubuntu and you may need a certain x64 but I know its available. Some tinkering and you will get it, like I said it doesn't install anything so dont worry about messing anything up. Just make sure you select "Run Live" or "Run from Disk" cant remember exactly. Or you can just pull your hard drive out and put into another computer. Seems kinda tight with that box though.

I cant help much with the long term. Without a recover disk or Windows disk you cant reinstall unless you buy a new XP disk ( you may have to do) I think they go for $50-$100 now.

Or if you like Ubuntu you can just install that as your Operating System and use it. Its great, free, and good support. It's not completely compatable with Windows and takes some time learning.

runningeagle

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 05:19:16 PM »
            Hi!

Thanks for your advice of Ubuntu! I had never thought Linux because all I had heard was "Linux is only free if your time is worthless!". I will keep the Windows on as a dual boot until I can get a CD. Thanks!

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 08:56:30 PM »
            Glad I could help ^^