Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: system restore xp  (Read 3348 times)

brostephen

Topic Starter

system restore xp
    « on: May 11, 2009, 08:44:39 PM »
    Hello All,

My wife's emachines (T3065) pc seems to have officially died.  I have the restore CDs in which I have been trying to restore the XP Operating System. 

Mscdex.exe says it is already running
    CDR101 says Not ready reading drive R.....any suggestions?

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: system restore xp
    « Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 10:40:35 PM »
    pc seems to have officially died
    What exactly happened? What are the symptoms?

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 03:04:27 AM »
    If you are not worried about losing all of the data (all of the pictures, videos, music etc...) on that computer, do this:

You need to boot to the CD. Do this:

When you first turn your computer on, before windows loads, you will see a message that says to press a certain key to enter setup. Pay attention, as the message may flash very quickly. It is usually an Fkey or esc or del. Tap this key as the computer starts up - before windows starts to load.

This will take you into BIOS. You use the arrow keys to navigate through BIOS.

In BIOS you want to look for Boot order or Boot sequence or maybe even just Boot. You want to set your CD drive as the first boot device. You usually use the plus and minus keys to move your devices around in the boot order.

Once you have your CD drive set as the first boot device, place the CD in the master CD drive. Now exit setup and SAVE changes (F10).

The computer will now reboot. You may see a message that says: "Press any key to boot to CD". Just keep tapping the space bar as the computer is starting back up (before windows loads). You will hear the Cd start spinning in the drive and see a blue screen with the word "setup" at the top.

Once all of the files have loaded, enter setup. Press F8 to agree to the license agreement. Now you should see a screen like this one:

You want to install a fresh copy of windows.

Follow this order

1. Delete partitions
    2. Create a new partition
    3. Format your partition (to setup windows on the selected item press enter)

Keep in mind that this will completely wipe out the hard drive and erase all of the data on that computer! Make sure that you have your windows product key. You need it. Setup will let you get this far, but if you don't have that key You will be left with a blank hard drive!

If you choose to do this, the very first thing you should do after the install is make sure that all of your drivers loaded.
    Click Start then Run and type in devmgmt.msc and press enter.
    If you see any yellow exclamation marks you will need a driver for that device. Your computer should have came with a driver CD. If you don't have it the Emachines website will have drivers available for download.

Post back if you need anymore help.
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

brostephen

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 09:54:39 PM »
      thanks for the help....here is the situation that I am facing.  I have the restoration CDs.  When the CD is not in I try to boot up and it takes me to the screen that says start windows normally, in safe mode, safe mode with command prompt ect....Regardless of which one I select it reboots and takes me straight back to that screen.  I have no options to press any of the function keys or the delete.  I have tried them all but I still cannot access the BIOS steup. 

When I boot up with the restoration CD the DOs screen flashes for a few seconds that says Starting Windows Millenium Emergency BOOT then goes to the DOS screen "System Restore Menu / Windows XP"
      1) Restore Windows XP
      2) Boot to Command prompt from CD-Rom

Please select 1 or 2:

If I select 1 then is says all contents will be lost press any key,then Y or N is you want to continue.  I press Y and it says "CDR101:Not Ready reading drive R Abort, Retry, Fail?"

If I select 1 it says Bad command or file name.

I am stuck at what to do next.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 10:00:49 PM »
      It looks like you need new CD drive.