Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Arrrgh! What is wrong here?  (Read 2573 times)

RPGr

Topic Starter

Rookie

Arrrgh! What is wrong here?
    « on: May 06, 2009, 06:34:05 PM »
    Ok, whenever I try to download anything and click "save to file" I get a message that my security will not allow me to download it. So I tried turning off Windows Firewall from the control panel which did not work. I tried disconnecting my wireless router, which did not work. I also tried both of the above with the same results. I have never had this problem before. My computer has windows xp.  Am I missing something?

Please help.

hot dog

Re: Arrrgh! What is wrong here?
    « Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 06:39:20 PM »
    you tried the firewall and the wireless router.......what about temporarily disabling your virus REAL-Time protection....did you try that?

If you are not sure where to find any antivirus settings...........go here:  START>RUN>type msconfig>click on the SERVICES tab>then check the box to "disable all microsoft services"....At that point, only third party services will be shown..........then, go down the list and uncheck anything that looks like an antivirus, or antispyware service running.............click "apply" then restart...

Then try the download again.... 8)

If the download is successful, reverse the process I just described, to ENABLE your anti-malware services..................Ultimately, you don't want them disabled

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 07:33:54 PM »
    What browser, version?

RPGr

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 03:12:44 PM »
      Ok, thanks Hot Dog....I'll try that.

ummm my main Browser is Mozilla 5.0, but I also tried downloading from IE and got the same message.

RPGr

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 03:27:29 PM »
        It didn't work, hot dog. Now what??  :'(

hot dog

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 03:55:58 PM »
        lol

Are there any third party Software Firewalls installed (besides Windows Firewall)  What exactly does the message say when you get the problem?

I'm not familiar with Mozilla, but you might try resetting IE to default settings....When IE is open, click TOOLS>Internete Options>Click Adavanced Tab>Then Reset IE to default.  When it is complete, close the browser, re-open it and try downloading again

hot dog

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 04:05:05 PM »
        Also, open Control Panel, look inside "add/remove programs" see if there is any type of registry maintenance/security tools installed (or any other third party maintenance tools)....If so, try uninstalling it/them and restarting..... they may be preventing windows from utilizing the registry during download....

Booting into Safe Mode with Networking     might be of some help isolating the problem, if any thing else doesn't work.  To do this, Restart, Tap F8, when the advanced boot options appear select Safe Mode with Networking, and then trying downling while in Safe Mode       

By the way, how long has this been going on?  did it start happening after you installed any updates?  If so, try a system restore, to a point when the system was not giving you this problem.  But be sure to save any documents to external disk, so you don't loose them.........A System Restore could solve the problem even if updates havent taken place

to do a system restore, do this: Click START>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore    Follow the instructions and select a DATE to restore the computer to a time when you KNOW the problem didn't exsist

« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 04:30:18 PM by hot dog »

RPGr

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 06:21:33 PM »
          Woot!!! Success!!!!! 

I went to my Security Center (Start, settings, control panel, Security Center), then clicked on Internet Options. Then clicked on "reset all zones to default level". And that did the trick.

After the download, I went back and re-set the security setting to high.

Thanks for all the advice. I learned alot today.   ;D

hot dog

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 06:51:54 PM »
          no prob.. :)

I would have simply suggested resetting the security settings, instead of IE as a whole, but I wanted to make the troubleshoot process speedy, and tackle the entire enchilada.