Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: maxtor? good?  (Read 3060 times)

compEngineer0

maxtor? good?
« on: May 13, 2005, 03:09:04 PM »
I'm looking to upgrade my hard drives, but I'm debating on what to get. I was planning on getting Western Digital Caviar RE, but I've seen several recommendations for Maxtor DiamondMax 10 hard drives over WD. Now I'm not sure what to get b/c the Maxtor seems better on paper, but I've heard so many horror stories of problems with Maxtor and how reliable WD is. Is Maxtor really reliable now or what? Any hard drive recommendations. I'm looking at spanning two SATA 250 GB hard drives.

jdw

Re: maxtor? good?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 04:30:18 PM »
Hello, I dont have any experience with the diamondmax 10, but the Diamondmax 9's definately had thier problems. They ran too hot and had too high a failure rate. Western Digital has always been rock solid in my experience.

compEngineer0

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 05:31:15 PM »
yeah, i've only bought wd and was ready to buy again until i heard that the diamondmax 10 was supposed to be good. i've never bought maxtor before b/c of the poor reliability associated with their name, but i just thought i'd see if anybody had heard much about the diamondmax 10's and if they were worth buying over the caviar re... or even if there was still a better drive than these two.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 05:47:07 PM »
...Western Digital has always been rock solid in my experience....

Mine, too.  Seagates seem to be very reliable, too.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 04:03:24 PM »
seagate.............baracuda:)........for get maxcrap......w/d used to clonk alot.......the biggest cause for hard drive problems is mounting the drive.........[vertical is best > not horizontal.......less bearing wear]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 04:06:45 PM by merlin_2 »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 06:18:47 PM »
According to Seagate:
"...Mount the drive in either the horizontal or vertical position depending on your case orientation."

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/howto/ata_install_tshoot.html