Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive/PS problem  (Read 2488 times)

Lucas Gard

Hard drive/PS problem
« on: May 14, 2005, 09:21:08 PM »
Here's the problem...

when I start the computer it will get to the xp load screen and maybe make it to the login screen before the hard drive clicks and everything freezes. I attempted to reinstall windows after pulling my hair out and that hard drive will click over and over again, almost like it powers up and off over and over. I put the hard drive in another computer and it booted up perfect at least 10 times, so I pretty much ruled out the hard drive. so I put it back in my box and click, click, click. So, I tried some other HD's I had lying around and they all click. I then disconnected everything but the essentials, just cd, floppy, HD; and took out my vga card, sound card, lan, etc. and used the mouse, keyboard and monitor hookups from the mobo. in other words, bare minimums. still clicks.

This problem started a few months ago after a blackout, and I thought a surge might be the culprit, but the problem went away, and every great while it would do this, I'd get pissed shut down and go to bed. The next day it was fine and ran fine for a couple months and do it again. this time it won;t go away and I'm leaning toward the power supply being the problem. just wanted another opinion before I replace it.

Antec True Power 430 watt PSU
Asus A7N8X mobo
Athlon 2600 XP
1gb Corsair XMS DDR
WD 120gb SE hard drive

All this ran beautifully for almost 2 years til now.

Thanks for any help. ???

Kablam

Re: Hard drive/PS problem
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 04:22:55 AM »
sounds like some damage was done to your motherboard? i would try a different HD in there just to check. if the same problem occurs buy a new MOBO and surge protection. Actually on second thaughts talk to insurance people. My p.c was replaced with a V nice one when lightning struck. It did write off the p.c though