Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Got a dead pc on my hands  (Read 2241 times)

atrimm

Got a dead pc on my hands
« on: May 09, 2009, 08:01:39 PM »
I have a couple of hard drives from an old pc that I tried hooking up to the new pc to get the files off of them.  I first hooked them up successfully a couple of weeks ago. (one at a time).  Well today, I  had some free time so I went to swap them out again after I got what I needed off of the first one.  I have to remove the heatsink to be able to install them into the drive bay, but I've done that plenty, and took the necessary precautions regarding static.  After I plugged in and installed the second drive, I hit the power button on the tower and......nothing.  Absolutely nothing.

No lights, no movement, no beeps, no nothing. Even the power button feels different, like not as springy, is the only way I can describe it. I've scanned through some of the other dead computer threads, to see what they had to say.  So I've checked out my power supply, made sure all the connections were secure, anything I could think of.

It's an E Machine's AMD Dual Core 64, 4 gig Ram...that's all I can think of right off the top of my head.

Any help is appreciated.

Mulreay

Re: Got a dead pc on my hands
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 08:20:05 PM »
It sounds like your power button has become mis-alighned. Is there anyway you can get to the back of the power button? Some power buttons have a spring behind them and this can come loose and mis-seat itself. You may have to re-seat the spring. No expert on power buttons though mate just thinking of my old T.V button that did something similar. The button felt... squashy rather than a click if that makes sense.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 08:10:26 AM »
eMachines are also notorious for low-budget underpowered PSU's...
See if you can borrow another one of the same or greater wattage to swap it in there to test.

Another thing is sometimes the BIOS will get confused when swapping more than one drive...re-check all jumpers and swap only one at a time from here out.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

webby2205

Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 02:31:20 PM »
    im wondering if you have pulled of one on the f panel wires by accident..
    i've had it before when i had the reset button on the wrong way and the power
    button felt as though i was dead.......
    not saying it is the same for you but it could be worth a shot....

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 05:31:36 AM »
      did you check how the paste was?
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 09:31:34 AM »
      So, it all worked with the first drive installed?  Is the second drive still in working order? 

I had a hard drive go bad.  I put it in two different computers as a slave, and neither computer would even start.  Removed the drive, and each booted and worked just fine.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 09:39:16 AM »
        Linux can fix that if there not spinning and we have various techniques to get them working.
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres