Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Q: How to disable/enable a device on the fly?  (Read 2177 times)

Geza

Topic Starter

Rookie

Q: How to disable/enable a device on the fly?
    « on: May 10, 2009, 04:12:01 PM »
    Hi Guys,
    I've got a Dell Latitude D830 laptop that has a built in (officially undisclosed) microphone that I want to be able to enable or disable with an icon to a simple batch file. Right now the only way to disable it is by going into the BIOS or going in the Device Manager and disable it there.

I only need it when I want to use Skype, otherwise I want to turn it off i.e. disable it.

Can someone tell me how can you enable or disable a device from the command line?

Geza
    Network Admin

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Q: How to disable/enable a device on the fly?
    « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 08:10:39 PM »
    Double Clicking the speaker icon in the system tray and muting the microphone is not good enough?
    Why on earth would you need to disable the microphone?

By disabling it in the BIOS, you are completely removing the microphone from the start-up procedure. You cannot do this 'on the fly' within Windows.

Mulreay

Re: Q: How to disable/enable a device on the fly?
    « Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 08:58:14 PM »
    From what my laptop does... I have two microphones one next to the keyboard and one next to my ear where I have pushed the Mic extension back too. There only activated if I tell them to be. I don't think you can de-activate something that is not switched on? Do you think someone is listening in on your conversations?