Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to create a new WordPad document?  (Read 14466 times)

Dias de verano

Re: How to create a new WordPad document?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2009, 01:54:48 PM »
???  What are you saying?  I've right clicked in a folder many times.

See the New... submenu

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2009, 01:59:20 PM »
See the New... submenu

I have.  What's your point?

Dias de verano

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2009, 02:01:50 PM »
I have.  What's your point?

See the other posts eg by Hey101.

I often use right click to create a new txt or rtf or xls document. I immediately give it a name of my choice and thereupon I can double click it, work on it, and all it takes is ALT+F, S to save it. I like to work that way. So (to me) the OP's question is a reasonable one.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 02:14:27 PM by Dias de verano »

soybean

Genius
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2009, 02:21:14 PM »
See the other posts eg by Hey101.

I often use right click to create a new txt or rtf or xls document. I immediately give it a name of my choice and thereupon I can double click it, work on it, and all it takes is ALT+F, S to save it. I like to work that way. So (to me) the OP's question is a reasonable one.

hey 101 and Shadow Vegan, Give this man a cigar!.

Dias de verano

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2009, 02:31:58 PM »
hey 101 and Shadow Vegan, Give this man a cigar!.

Are you being sarcastic and/or hostile? If so, why?

soybean

Genius
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2009, 02:38:15 PM »
No, I was just trying to be cute.  :-[  Actually, if hey 101 or Shadow Vegan has stated the case as well as you worded it, I think this discussion would have been finished much sooner. 

Dias de verano

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2009, 02:41:34 PM »
No, I was just trying to be cute. 

OK then... thanks for the cigar!

soybean

Genius
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2009, 02:48:58 PM »

By the way, I'm surpised that this technique even works for Excel.  I presume the right click procedure does not create an actual Excel file, or does it?  In other words, is it just a ... trick ... file that makes Windows respond to a double click by opening Excel or is it truly a blank Excel file?  Is the file size of an xls file created this way the same as a new Excel file created via an open Excel window?

And, if this works for Excel, then it could be applied to Word, etc.?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2009, 03:45:07 PM »
the "new" submenu is populated by the items within the shellnew keys of  various extensions. xls, for example, in my machine references "excel9.xls" which exists in C:\windows\shellnew on my machine.

possible entries in the shellnew key include Filename (as above) Data (which creates a new file with that data in in it; for example, my RTF example) or "nullfile" which means to create an empty file; this one is used for files that have no necessary structure, such as text documents. The files are created immediately, and of course the files have associations for the appropriate programs.

As far as new documents, basically, the Office programs have a file in the shellnew folder and appropriate registry entries for the menu. the file is simply blank, and will get it's settings from normal.dot or the default worksheet (I forget the filename), just like File...New, but you wouldn't need to open the program just to create the file, for example if one was creating a certain set of files before editing them.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

hey101

Beginner

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2009, 03:53:19 PM »
    well thanks everyone that contributed to this. sorry soybean for the confusion i was jsut saying its better to answer sometimes then get in a never ending discussion about something. Its not like its going to be used for illegal things so its better to answer on how to do it it  this situation.

Also thanks Dias de verano  for clarifying it.

Dias de verano

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2009, 03:54:45 PM »
    By the way, I'm surpised that this technique even works for Excel. 

I believe that people edit the registry but I use TweakUI so I can customize the New... menu. One of the options (if you have MS Office) is a new Excel workbook.

I presume the right click procedure does not create an actual Excel file, or does it?  In other words, is it just a ... trick ... file that makes Windows respond to a double click by opening Excel or is it truly a blank Excel file?

It looks just like one. It is called "New Microsoft Excel Worksheet.xls" and is 12 KB in size

Is the file size of an xls file created this way the same as a new Excel file created via an open Excel window?

If I start Excel, create a new empty worksheet and save it, the size is 14 KB.

And, if this works for Excel, then it could be applied to Word, etc.?

Yes, indeed. I thought everybody knew about this. In the "Templates" section of TweakUI you can add items to the Explorer rightclick New... menu. MSoffice items that I can see are: Excel worksheet, Access Application, Publisher Document, PowerPoint presentation, Word Document