Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: transfering files  (Read 3542 times)

kerem ozkan

transfering files
« on: May 15, 2005, 03:23:46 PM »
I want to transfer some files from my desktop with Windows 98 to my laptop with Windows XP. I connected them with a crossover cable and went to the laptop's "file and settings transfer wizard". It told me I needed a wizard disc for the other computer. I can't create one because the laptop doesn't have a floppy disc drive. I don't have the Windows XP CD either.
I called Geek Squad and they told me I needed to network my computers and they would charge me $169 to do it. So I was attempting to do it myself but I came across the same problem with the network setup wizard. My options are to create a network setup disc (when I try to do this it just tells me I have no floppy disc drives), use the network setup disc I already have (I don't have one), use my Windows XP CD (don't have it) or just finish the wizard (which won't work).
I don't really want a network anyways, I just want to transfer some files. I'm not good with this stuff, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: transfering files
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 03:30:27 PM »
    kerem ozkan...... This may be a dumb question but .......why don't you have your Win XP disk ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Kerem Ozkan

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 04:07:27 PM »
    not at all
    my laptop, Averatec 3270, didn't come with one

kerem ozkan

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 05:20:46 PM »
    anybody?

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 06:40:55 PM »
    Give this a read:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_concept_file_share_setup.mspx

Also, there are links to follow that give detailed instructions by OS.

Hope this helps.  8)
    The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

kerem ozkan

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 07:43:45 PM »
    thanks, but my problem isn't sharing the folders. it's setting up the network. when i use the network setup wizard on the xp it says "You need to run the Network Setup Wizard once on each of the computers on your network. To run the wizard on computers that are not running Windows XP you can use the Windows XP CD or a Network Setup Disc"
    well i don't have the cd and i can't create a network setup disc.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 07:49:24 PM »
       kerem ozkan ..... well if you cant network them ...there is another option ....use msn messenger and transfer them that way ........

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

kerem ozkan

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 07:52:43 PM »
      that wouldn't have worked since i don't have internet on the laptop. i managed to work it out though, thanks!