Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Myspace and Facebook will not load........  (Read 12881 times)

oicclouds

Topic Starter

Starter

Myspace and Facebook will not load........
    « on: May 12, 2009, 05:25:40 PM »
    For the last several weeks, I cannot get into myspace or facebook.  I get a connection error everytime I try.  All other internet sites work just fine, only these two don't.  I've called my internet company and they said I either have a virus or a problem with my router (home network).

I have kaspersky and trojan remover and they pick up nothing.  My router box has "WL-500G Premium v2" on it.  We did reset the router and that did not work. 

Any ideas?  I can't understand why only these 2 sites don't work and everything else does!

ALSO----If I type in the ip addy for facebook, the login page will come up but when I log in, I get connection error.  I cannot even search for mypace's ip addy.  If I type myspace into google, I get a connection error.  It is like the words themselves are blocking access. 

?????

I don't know anything about computers.  I mean nothing at all here!

Thanks!  Vicki
    « Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 05:49:55 PM by oicclouds »

TheHoFL

Intermediate

Re: Myspace and Facebook will not load........
      « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 01:01:15 PM »
      If you have Windows XP try the following:

Navigate to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc"
      Right click "hosts" and then click open.
      When it asks which application to open with, choose notepad.

Please copy and paste everything below and post in a reply.

127.0.0.1       localhost

If you see the following lines, remove them and save the document.

127.0.0.1            www.myspace.com
      127.0.0.1            myspace.com
      127.0.0.1            http://www.myspace.com
      127.0.0.1            www.facebook.com
      127.0.0.1            facebook.com
      127.0.0.1            http://www.facebook.com
      All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them.  - Walt Disney

oicclouds

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 11:08:07 AM »
        Thank you.  I did what you said and found both myspace and facebook there, so I deleted them and saved it.  So..............now facebook is working fine.  Myspace is still not working.

I cannot even do a search for myspace on THIS message board.  I put the word into the search box above and got a connection error.  This also happens when I tried to search for myspace help on Google and other search engines besides here.

It seems like the word itself is triggering some sort of block that give me a connection error.  But the host thing worked for facebook.

Any other ideas?  Thanks!  Vicki

TheHoFL

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 06:03:59 PM »
          When you say you "reset" the router do you mean you reset it to defaults or you unplugged the router for a few minutes? Also is this being blocked on just one user or multiple user profiles that log in?

All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them.  - Walt Disney

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 06:17:13 PM »
          It's probably some form of malware. I'd run through the guide here
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

zeromancet

Starter

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 10:58:47 AM »
            I have the same problem, but it's ONLY with facebook. I've gone through several of the malware removal tutorials and removed the problems they came up with. This morning I even went as far as completely reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling my OS. The problem still persists. I've tried FF3 and IE and both have issues. There's nothing in my "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc" file except the 127.0.0.1 localhost extension. The only thing that seems to help at all is turning off my firewall and even then the site takes FOREVER to load. I haven't made any changes to my computer configuration since September (except the reformatting job this morning) and I started having this issue Friday night (it was fine in the morning). This is ridiculously confusing.

oicclouds

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 11:37:51 AM »
              I am about halfway through the malware removal process.  Still not working and my teenage daughter is making me nuts about this.  Ugh! 

zeromancet

Starter

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 02:51:57 PM »
                Several of my other friends (all with macs or windows XP/vista) are experiencing the same issue. It's not malware, it's not cookies, it's not cache, it's not internet connection issue, it's definitely a problem from facebook. From all the forums I've checked, this doesn't seem to be the first time this has happened to people either. I guess they'll fix it eventually =/

2x3i5x

Expert
                • Experience: Familiar
                « Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 03:21:59 PM »
                 @ zeromancet so both Myspace and Facebook are having the same problem?

zeromancet

Starter

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 03:53:01 PM »
                  Personally, I haven't had any issues with myspace, nor have any of my other friends, so I can't say much about it. I'm almost positive on the facebook problem because I've been searching forums since it started and I've tried everything they've had to offer and then some with no success. After hearing about all the friends I have with the same issue, it can't be coincidental. Something has to be wrong with these sites. If you've also been through several forums explaining about dns flushing, clearing your cache, cookies, malware removal, etc. and have had no success with either site, it may be safe to assume it's at least a similar issue with myspace too.

The only thing I've been able to do as a "band-aid" until hopefully they fix it is to disable my firewall while I'm visiting facebook. It still takes forever to load, but it usually responds after several minutes (think dial up speed). It might work for myspace too, but use that method at your own risk. I'm still searching for solutions I haven't heard of or tried yet >_>

2x3i5x

Expert
                  « Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 03:57:17 PM »
                  as of now, facebook is still working fine for me, so i don't know what's happening

zeromancet

Starter

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 12:31:58 PM »
                    I've done a little more poking around and I was able to get an answer from facebook... sort of.

They state: "Some users are experiencing very slow page loads (greater than 1 minute) while navigating the site. We are currently investigating this issue and believe it may be a problem limited to certain Internet Service Providers. Please report this issue here."

http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=slow

I told you guys it wasn't OUR fault >_>

munajata

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 09:14:27 PM »
                      wow facebook :o

dunialove

I can't Log into my "FACEBOOK"
                        « Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 09:54:18 AM »

This is the only site i can't get into.... It keeps telling me that I have to log in! I have no idea how to fix this! I have tried several of you guys suggestion. PLEASE HELP ME!

2x3i5x

Expert
                        « Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 11:42:28 AM »

This is the only site i can't get into.... It keeps telling me that I have to log in! I have no idea how to fix this! I have tried several of you guys suggestion. PLEASE HELP ME!

What browser are you using> internet explorer, firefox or something else? You can try logging in with a different browser, sometimes just switching browser fixes the login problem.

dunialove

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 09:35:27 PM »
                          @ 2x3i5x Thank you so much for your help! I installed Firefox! It fixed the problem!

janenbrad

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 07:46:11 PM »
                            iv tried puting f fox on its not makeing any difference

reindeer88

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 07:29:41 PM »
                            # Copyright (c) 1993-2001 Microsoft Corp.
                            #
                            # This file has been automatically generated for use by Microsoft Internet
                            # Connection Sharing. It contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names
                            # for the home network. Please do not make changes to the HOSTS.ICS file.
                            # Any changes may result in a loss of connectivity between machines on the
                            # local network.
                            #

192.168.0.1 Dez2.mshome.net # 2015 10 2 27 23 27 40 957

Cosro04

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 05:19:41 PM »
                              I have been having the same problem accessing Facebook on my daughter's PC using both IE and Chrome. I found a workaround (bandaid) that works for both in my case. If I type "www.www.facebook.com I can access the login page. I do not have a login to Facebook so I was unable to go any further. I have tried the other suggestions(host file, uncheck proxy server, etc.) but so far- no luck. Whatever is blocking the connection is hidden very well but I will keep plugging away until I find it. Good luck!

Cosro04

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 07:10:09 AM »
                                Problem solved in my case. I installed Microsoft Security Essentials(free) after uninstalling AVG and run it. I had Hosts File Hijacker. Security Essentials made light work of it and Facebook works like a charm now.