Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Weird one...? Slowest computer on home wifi  (Read 3961 times)

DaveL

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Weird one...? Slowest computer on home wifi
    « on: August 24, 2011, 08:08:28 AM »
    Hi Guys.
    I and the kids have 4 laptops between us. Mine is by far the newest, biggest memory, most ram, fastest processor and runs on Win 7 and uses ESET (as do the kids laptops)....

Connecting to the internet however mine is as slow as a snail compared to the kids laptops.
    Over the past few days when we have been online at the same time we have run speed tests at speedtest.net - the kids have all been registering down speeds of between 2 and 7Mbps wheras mine has never exceeded 0.7Mbps in about 6 or 7 different tests at different times of the day. There is no wired laptop, torrent etc connected to the router and no P2P connections we are all on the same simple wifi type connection.

We have sky internet and the router is not easily get-into-able as sky don't seem to give our the router passwords etc. so I cant log into the router to see what is happening there.

If I wire my laptop into the hub I achieve a down speed of about 6.5Mbps so I suspect that this problem has something to do with my wireless adaptor, or else for some reason the wireless router is not liking my laptops connection and giving it a lower priority.

I have used several different scanners on my hard drive, plus cleaned my registry. The doesn't seem to be anything untowards running anywhere. There is loads of free disk space and typically system idle process occupies 97% of the available CPU...

If anyone has any ideas I would be extremely appreciative.  Thanks.
    « Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 08:35:45 AM by DaveL »

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: Weird one...? Slowest computer on home wifi
    « Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 12:52:11 AM »
    Use speedtest again alone or without anyone connecting to wirelessly.

DaveL

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 01:58:11 AM »
      Hi Jason. Thanks for taking an interest.
      With noone else online I got 6.9Mbps down and 0.3 up.

Confused by this. Does it mean that somehow the router is prioritising others over my computer?

Cheers
      Dave

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 08:23:46 AM »
      If I wire my laptop into the hub
      Is this a modem with built in router capabilities or modem connected to router and why are you using a hub?

Has this system ever worked properly off the WiFi?

P2P connections we are all on the same simple wifi type connection
      If you are using P2P (file sharing) software on that system could explain the reason for the poor down load and upload speeds.   Sugguest that you disable and try the speed test?

Have you rebooted the WiFi?
      "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

DaveL

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
        Sorry obviously my knowledge (rather lack of) of the correct names for things is confusing people.

I dont work off a hub we all have a single netgear DG834GT which is basically a combined modem and wifi hub, standard home network fare.

There is no p2p just 4 laptops connecting wirelessly to the Netgear.

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 08:53:07 AM »
        Have you rebooted the modem?

"Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

DaveL

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 09:15:39 AM »
          Yes we have rebooted the modem many times.
          Just did another test, still the same with 3 other laptops online I got 0.68mbps down. Within a minute one of the kids got 3.85mbps down and another 1.28mbps down. Right after that I did a further one - the internet connection to mine actually dropped off completely and couldn't load the webpage, then after a few attempts got back on it and recorded 0.23Mbps down...I lost the connection again whilst trying to post this, yet the kids are surfing and chatting online uninterrupted

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 11:56:13 PM »
          Have you made any changes to your wireless card configurations?

The main thing I am looking at is the setting set for Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.

How comfortable do you feel with reconfiguring the modem and the Wi-Fi Card?

May also look to see if the modem is set to automatically assign IP and DNS address.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 12:10:09 AM »
          I have used several different scanners on my hard drive, plus cleaned my registry
          I would suggest to stop using unknown registry cleaners. They could leave your PC into an unusable state. What product scanners do you mean? You also mentioned using ESET. Is it the Free, Paid or Trial version with Firewall, Scanner , Antivirus and Spyware? Have you tried changing the laptop location for any probable distance or interference factor?

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 09:44:37 AM »
          Go into safe mode with networking with the others online and then rune the speedtest.

If your computer has a single operating system installed, tap the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode With Networking and then press enter.

Scroll to you user name log in using your user information.

This will run the computer with default drivers so do not panic if the screen does not look properly.

What channel is the wireless part of the modem set to you may be getting interference form other wireless in the area.  Try switching to another channel and see if that clears up.