Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows update notification icon missing  (Read 4360 times)

Frank

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Windows update notification icon missing
    « on: May 13, 2009, 05:47:30 AM »
    I have just installed a fresh XP SP3 and all went o/k. I now have some windows updates ready for installation. I know this because when shut down the machine there is a notice with the shutdown button. This notice states that I can click on a link that will install the updates as the system shuts down.

Unfortunately, this way I don't know what is being updated.  How can I get the notification icon back into the system tray?
    Thanks

GlitchPC

Re: Windows update notification icon missing
    « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 05:56:43 AM »
    You can configure Automatic Updates in Windows XP using the System applet within the Control Panel. Click Start, point to Control Panel, and open the System applet. From the System Properties dialog box, click the Automatic Updates tab.

Once there...select the following radio button:  Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them

Click the OK button...and the next time there are updates...they will be downloaded automatically...and you will be notified in the System Tray that new downloads are ready to be installed.

Frank

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 06:04:02 AM »
      Thanks,
      That is the setting I have. No Icon, just the notice in the shutdown windows.

GlitchPC

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 06:12:39 AM »
      Frank...

This is the setting that normally works...and does show the icon in the System Tray when the updates have been downloaded and are ready for installation.  Is it possible you just didn't notice it when you began the shut down process?

You can also check to see if the icon is being hidden by checking the following:

Check whether Windows XP is hiding Inactive Icons...
      Right Click on taskbar and choose properties and uncheck "Hide Inactive Icons".

If you did not notice the icon and began shutdown...the updates will automatically begin installation...and should not be interrupted during this process.  If you did interrupt this process...there is the possibility you may have corrupted the installation process.

Frank

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 06:40:32 AM »
        Sorry, I incorrectly stated that the notice states that I can click on a link that will install the updates. In fact it's the other way around. The notice states "Click here to shutdown without installing the updates". Clicking the Turn Off button installs the updates.

I always press the link to shut down "without updating" so that I can click on the icon after booting. But in this case there is no icon after booting.

GlitchPC

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 06:50:53 AM »
        I would try this...

Run your updates manually and use the Custom or Express option to download and install your updates.  Also note...that during installation of these updates, any antivirus software you use should be disabled, as noted during the download/installation process.

For more information, visit this Microsoft KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910340

Frank

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 06:59:20 AM »
          Looks like I need to do it manually.
          Thanks a lot for your help.

GlitchPC

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 07:06:36 AM »
          You're welcome...