Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Two routers, one NAS, a few computers  (Read 2134 times)

tiz

Topic Starter

Two routers, one NAS, a few computers
    « on: June 15, 2009, 06:47:42 AM »
    Hi!

I'm having trouble accessing my NAS-disk from all the computers in my network. I have a wired Netgear router that's connected to the internet. One computer and a wireless D-link router is connected to the Netgear router with cat5 cables. The NAS is connected to the wireless D-link with a cat5 cable. There are several laptops connected wirelessly to the D-link.

Currently, everything seems to work like I want it, except I cannot access the NAS from the computer that is wired to the Netgear router. The internet connection works fine on all computers.

What do I have to do in order to be able to access the NAS from all the computers? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time!!!!  :)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Two routers, one NAS, a few computers
    « Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 07:56:30 AM »
    This comes out of left field, but just double-check that all computers have the same subnet mask...  ("ipconfig" at a command prompt.)
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

tiz

Topic Starter

Re: Two routers, one NAS, a few computers
      « Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 09:25:27 AM »
      Thanks for replying Rob!

Yep, they are the same (255.255.255.0). I just found out I cannot access anything at all connected to the D-link from the stationary computer that is wired to the Netgear. It is as if the D-link does not exist when I try to access it from the stationary. All the laptops can access both routers.

I know very little about networks, so I may have missed something elementary... Should this normally work when the settings on both routers are factory default? Or do I need to change something? Thanks!