Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How badly did I screw myself (dual boot)?  (Read 6311 times)

shantd

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: How badly did I screw myself (dual boot)?
    « Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 08:48:13 PM »
    Actually, I had a couple people tell me it's in the ram but let me quote somebody else who really seemed to know what she was talking about. She says that drive X: is allocated to the boot CD.

"Drive X: is not on your PC at all.  Traditionally, this is the drive letter allocated (during boot from CD-ROM), to the contents of the CD-ROM itself: that is why it is "write-protected".  Once you finish running the CD-ROM, drive X: disappears again.  It is not anywhere on your hard disks and does not interfere with any hard-drive setup.  You can forget about drive X: as being a potential problem."

I think I can go with that.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 06:30:36 AM »
    If you are using Ghost i would suggest if you are going to re-do your existing dual boot then install each OS to a seperate drive.
    In this scenario you use the BIOS to switch between which OS to boot.
    The other advantage is your Ghost images will work when you need them.
    An image of a dual-boot won't always restore properly.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

shantd

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 08:02:01 AM »
      Wow...that's a great idea. Never heard that suggested before. The only problem I can see, at least as it relates to me, is that I only have 2 drives. If I put an OS on each, I won't have true backup security. Not to mention having to use both drives to backup each other, which means using up double the space. But if I had 3 drives or more, this would absolutely be the best option. Thanks for that.  8)

I am curious about your last sentence though. Why do you say that? What potential problems have you seen/heard about with restoring a dual boot via ghost?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 08:12:51 AM »
      It never worked for ne with a dual-boot setup...period.
      When Windows is installed to a drive even if it's a different partition it writes files to the root of C:...
      If the bootsector becomes flubbed neither OS will boot in some circumstances...
      And a Ghost restore doesn't always fix it.
      Just my experience

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 08:14:22 AM »
      As far as backing up Ghost has to backup to another drive/partition....
      So in your case i'd back up XP to the Vista drive...then burn it to CD/DVD and vice versa...

shantd

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 10:10:37 AM »
        Thanks patio, good to know.

Which files in Vista are responsible for booting? I've got Vista running exactly how I like so I'm not gonna ghost my old Vista backup, I'll keep this one. I did however already ghost XP to the other partition on this drive. All I need to do now is configure the dual boot and I'm thinking if I simply copy the files responsible for booting from my Ghost backup and overwrite the current files, it should work, shouldn't it?
        « Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 10:39:09 AM by shantd »

shantd

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 10:40:55 PM »
          Well, just thought I'd let you all know that, utilizing Ghost v14.0 & VistaBootPro, everything is working again. Better than before in fact, as my Vista OS wasn't working right before all this happened. Now it runs like a dream . I'm actually glad this happened. And I have to stress something which is a pet peeve of mine: everyone should be using Ghost or similar backup/restore program. If you go through your computer life without using Ghost or something like it, you are really missing out. Not only does it save your a$$ in situations like this, but it also completely irradicates the threat of catching a virus. I haven't used an antivirus program in years and my system is clean as a whistle. If you do catch a virus, you simply restore your last backup and presto: every trace of that virus is gauranteed gone. No antivirus software running in the background means you have resources freed up & make no mistake, antivirus solutions use up a lot of resources.  If you've ever found yourself on these forums worried about your system or your data, get Ghost, an extra hard drive, and make life easy on yourself.

I'd just like to extend a final thank you to everyone here who helped me with this, especially patio & jj3000. There's no better man than he who goes out of his way to help a stranger. It's nice to know that people have your back in times like this.

Shant D.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 08:18:17 AM »
          Good news indeed shantd and glad to hear you are fixed up ! !

Stop by anytime...