Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Spybot vs PCTools Spyware Doctor conflicts?  (Read 3293 times)

willythecat

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    Spybot vs PCTools Spyware Doctor conflicts?
    « on: May 13, 2009, 04:58:24 PM »
    Don't think l have a problem with viruses as everything (mbam,sas,hjt) all check clean.
    Am really looking to see if anyone is running PCTools Spyware Doctor along with Spybot Search and Destroy.
    I download the latest Spybot updates every Wednesday, immunize the files, and their list of known bad sites is placed in the Hosts file. When viewing the host file, all is above board and the entries are entered in the correct format as they should be.
    I then run Spyware Doctor and it keeps coming up with the same number of infections each time, namely 841. So, using it's custom mode to find out where these are, they are all in the hosts file!
    I therefore get rid of these in Spyware Doctor, re-check the hosts file again, and 841 entries have been removed.
    It's as if the two programs are in total conflict. Spybot says to immunize all it's files and Spyware Doctor says 841 of them are infectious.
    Has anyone else noticed this problem and which program is right?

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Spybot vs PCTools Spyware Doctor conflicts?
    « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 06:24:51 PM »
    Personally, I don't use either of those, and I don't even recommend them.

Spark010

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 06:36:36 PM »
    I use Spybot, and it is safer than Spyware Doctor ,
    but leave both active will be a wrong idea cause they will corrupt each other.

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 10:59:52 PM »
    PC tools is the poor man's Norton. So forget it. Norton's products is getting better as the time comes on but other far superior apps that do same or similar functionality is already out.

Malwarebyte Antimalwre or SuperAntiSpyware are good options to use, both recommended by Evilfantasy as I see from his link I found here on CH. Having windows defender on's probably fine, microsoft is consistently updating its detection library.