Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Does Sleep Mode for Vista result in HDD/Mobo failure?  (Read 13389 times)

Gamer11705

Topic Starter

Rookie

Does Sleep Mode for Vista result in HDD/Mobo failure?
    « on: May 15, 2009, 08:58:39 PM »
    Okay, being an impatient person, I always leave my computer on 'Sleep' mode for my office computer. Unfortunately however, as I put it into sleep mode yesterday, when I tried to 'wake up' my computer again, it somewhat did turn on, but the monitor was blank.

When I turned on my computer from Sleep Mode, the Yellow sleep light went to Blue, so I suppose some part of my computer did turn on, but it did not lauch Windows (I also made sure the video cable between my monitor and PC was okay). I noticed that I could HEAR the inside of my computer turning on (fans whirring, and a variety of other internal noises).

Being the computer fool, I did the simplest thing: I did a force shut down via Power Button for 5 Secs. WHen I tried to turn the computer back on, the same thing happened when I tried to it back on, my monitor was blank. However, my USB devices were no long turning on (mouse and keyboard not showing lights). So is this an easy fix, or a In-Store-Expert Fix?

hot dog

Re: Does Sleep Mode for Vista result in HDD/Mobo failure?
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 09:23:28 PM »
    Unplug your computer from the wall. Open up the case, touch the metal chassis with your hand to ground any present static electricity. Pull the RAM sticks out and then reinstall them. Close up the case, plug the computer back in and try turning on the computer to see if it boots...

Gamer11705

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 09:30:14 PM »
      Did not work, but thanks.

hot dog

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 09:33:24 PM »
      Are there any external devices attached to your computer while it is trying to boot? USB Flash drives, or external harddrives? If so, try unpluging them, momentarily, while you try to boot your computer.

Gamer11705

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 09:35:07 PM »
        Yep I tried that, all my USB devices, and Video Cable are un-attached. Just the power cord.

And my optical drive is empty as well.

Gamer11705

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 09:43:25 PM »
          Is it possible it's not neccesarily my HDD's or Mobo's fault for my computer's failure?

hot dog

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 09:44:04 PM »
          alright, try this one......Unplug the computer again, open it up, touch the chassis to discharage any static, remove the CMOS battery (Shiny Round thing) for a few minutes....Press the power button once or twice to discharage any residual power....put the battery back in and try booting

Gamer11705

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 09:47:36 PM »
            When I press the power button once or twice, should I plug it back in?

Gamer11705

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 09:52:37 PM »
              And also, I believe I took out the CMOS, it was small and shiny and was on my mobo, and am currently leaving it out.

hot dog

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 09:54:35 PM »
              NO, the point of that is to discharge residual power that may be lingering in the circuits. Just pull the battery out for a few moments and while it is unpluged, press the power button once or twice and then reinstall the battery....THEN, plug the computer back in and try booting

Gamer11705

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 09:56:53 PM »
                Alright I did it again, but unfortunately it didn't work either.

I appreciate the help though.

Unfortunately, I believe my computer is dead now :(

hot dog

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 10:05:37 PM »
                hmmmm, let's see here............what to do

Are you able to boot off of your Installation Disk?  If your DVD/CD drive is set to boot before the Harddrive, as most are by default, maybe you can boot from that CD.  If the Cd has Recovery Console, select Recovery Console, and type:  chkdsk.exe     and see if it will repair any possible damage to your Harddrive file system......

anyone else got any ideas :P

edit: when you first try to power on your computer, hit the DVD drive button and insert the installation disk,                THEN Power Down, and UP again to see if it will boot off the CD

2x3i5x

Expert
                • Computer: Specs
                • Experience: Familiar
                « Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 10:07:34 PM »
                I think sleep mode's not supposed to kill your computer, hope you get the problem solved  :)

Gamer11705

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 10:13:01 PM »
                  Unfortunately BLockHead, I only have the recovery disc, and it did not boot off.

:(

All the files I'm going to lose... Bah this is frustrating. I had no idea Sleep Mode was an evil villan.

2x3i5x

Expert
                  • Computer: Specs
                  • Experience: Familiar
                  « Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 10:14:58 PM »
                  Unfortunately BLockHead, I only have the recovery disc, and it did not boot off.

:(

All the files I'm going to lose... Bah this is frustrating. I had no idea Sleep Mode was an evil villan.

Personally for me, I think hibernation, where computer saves all current data to ram and then does a normal computer shut down is a better option. I understood microsoft's intention of sleep mode but it's never been used at least on my pc.