Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to make my wireless network unaccessible  (Read 3588 times)

wildwood

Topic Starter

Beginner
    How to make my wireless network unaccessible
    « on: May 17, 2009, 02:07:05 PM »
    I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 VISTA Home Basic laptop. My wireless system is through Time warner. All my connections to the internet and through my network all work just fine. My issue is that I wish to reset my network so that unknown computers do not connect to my network. I understand I will have to have some sort of password/ WEP network key (?)  for access to my network. Can someone please give me step by step instructions to make my wireless network protected form outside "invaders."

Thanks much,
    Peter

hiloed

Beginner

Re: How to make my wireless network unaccessible
      « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 02:49:30 PM »

You will have to set up your router.
      Try here for directions they may vary a bit depending on your router make and model. Go with wpa if possible.

http://www.cradlepoint.com/knowledge-base/how-set-wireless-wep-or-wpa-security

Kyran

• Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 02:51:50 PM »
        Go to control panel, then to network and internet, got to network and sharing center, then on the left of the screen where you see "task, view computer and devices etc." look for mange wireless networks, in that window select the wireless network you are using, right click then select properties then in that window select security and choose the type of security (WPA2 is good) or one of your choice, and the type of encryption, then enter a good password, ( please remember your password), then click on OK.
        K.McIntosh

wildwood

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 08:04:02 PM »
          Hi Kayran
          I've tried your suggestion but to no avail. I get the message:
          "The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network."

The choices for Security Type:
          No authentication (open)
          Shared
          WPA2-Personal
          WPA-Personal
          WPA2-Enterprise
          WPA-Enterprise
          802.1x
          Encryption Type:
          AES
          TKIP

I've tried them all but all I get is the above message. I must be missing a step somewheres.

Thanks
          Peter

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
            • Me
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 05:57:13 AM »
          Kyran's got the wrong end of the stick here.  You need to focus on the settings on the router first, as hiloed said.  Make and model?
          Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

TheHoFL

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 12:55:36 PM »
            I have my router setup like the following an i never have any other computers/users connect to my network without me knowing about it or making changes to allow them to connect.

1st: Setup your router with a WPA2 key.
            2nd: There should be an option for hiding you SSID(Your wireless network) ... disable that feature. Your network will still be available, but you will have to manually connect the first time.

If you wanted to be more secure, there should be an option to ONLY allow specific MAC address'

I can give you step by step if you get me the make and model for your router. ;D
            All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them.  - Walt Disney