Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need Digital Voice Recorder Reccomendations  (Read 3919 times)

Truthisone

Topic Starter

Beginner

Need Digital Voice Recorder Reccomendations
    « on: May 18, 2009, 03:10:38 AM »
    After ten years, I'm returning to school. I don't take very good notes to begin with so a digital voice recorder for lectures is a must.

Of course it must connect to the PC via USB. It has to be Vista 64 bit compatible and around $100 please. I would love it to work with dragon naturally speaking, but that might be asking too much. I don't know how much I would have to spend to have that feature too so let me know.

IF this is the wrong site to post a Q like this in, could you please recommend a better one.

Classes begin in less than a month so please help!
    Thanks so much.
    « Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 03:23:17 AM by Truthisone »

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: Need Digital Voice Recorder Reccomendations
      « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 04:50:22 AM »
      I would have tried yahoo answers, its a matter of know were to look.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 05:02:40 AM »
      Squall. If you can't help, don't post at all.

Truthisone, I don't have any preference personally, but you may want to have a look around ebay:
      http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZvoiceQ20recordersQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR40QQ_mdoZ

There are also plenty of suggestions on Google:
      http://www.google.com.hk/search?hl=en&q=digital+voice+recorder+suggestions&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 05:05:57 AM »
      You do not need to spend $100
      You can get a good one at Wal-Mart the will do all the basic things.
      If price is of concern, I would say stop at $50. Above that the features are not esential. IMO

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 05:09:51 AM »
      Oh yeah, forgot to comment on the price. $100 is waaaay too much.

On another point, I strongly suggest trying the device out before buying it, just to make sure it works as you intended it to.

Truthisone

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 05:18:28 AM »
        Ok guys, if you could give me some examples of models you are talking about that would help. I don't live anywhere near a walmart but in what stores do they let you try before you buy??? I never heard of that for ANYTHING before.

Anyways, I will buying this online. Are Ebay's refurbished recorders any good? And I'm having trouble finding anything that is Vista 64 bit compatible. -sigh-

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 05:22:48 AM »
        Digital records would interface just like USB Flash Drives and MP3's would. AKA Plug and Play.
        Any modern digital recorder will work on Vista 64-bit.

Ok guys, if you could give me some examples of models you are talking about that would help. I don't live anywhere near a walmart but in what stores do they let you try before you buy??? I never heard of that for ANYTHING before.
        I meant try the recorder IN the store. They do that for cameras and computers, I don't see why not with Digital Voice Recorders.

Not sure how well-maintained refurbished recorders are, but personally I would get a new one.

Truthisone

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 05:42:54 AM »
          Carbon, Sony specifically says on it's website that its recorders aren't guaranteed to work with Vista. And one online store said it def wouldn't. I just checked because I was going to get one of them. Do you think that's true?

And what store lets u try cameras and stuff out in the store. I live in NYC and that never happens here. Everything is sealed and locked and chained without batteries, plus what they charge is highway robbery. I want to move to where you live :)

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 07:31:54 AM »
            never said that I couldnt was going to check around for him but couldnt at the time.  Cant know ether but its not like there hard to find.
            Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 07:36:46 AM »
            Like I said, if you can't help, don't post. You can always add to the topic later.

The next time I catch you trying to boost your post count, it will be removed. This isn't the first time you've done this.

Consider yourself warned.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 07:40:41 AM »
            And what store lets u try cameras and stuff out in the store. I live in NYC and that never happens here. Everything is sealed and locked and chained without batteries, plus what they charge is highway robbery. I want to move to where you live

LOL! It's the same here in China. Everything is sealed up and locked but, for example we want to buy a camera, the salesman will get the camera from its display case and let us try it (try taking pictures ect).

Anyways, I have a friend who has a digital recorder. I'm pretty sure it works on Vista. I'll ask him.

In the mean time, do you have any specific models you are thinking of getting? Could you provide links to them?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 08:02:25 AM »
            Try Before You Buy.
            That is a hot topic now. Somebody show start a new thread on that .

Meanwhile, back to topic. Many stores have an 800 number. Some of the better ones will make a recommendation for you. If you do not like the item they will give you credit for a similar product. In some cases the may charge a restocking fee of 15% plus shipping. The phone numbers are free in some areas. Even if you have to pay for the phone call, it might be worth it.

Having 64 bit Windows drivers and software is an important feature. Many products have built-in organizers that may use native code.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 08:42:25 PM »
            A good point Squall made was that MP3 players do have a voice-record function. Not sure how good the quality would be, but it's direct plug and play.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 03:03:41 AM »
            A good point Squall made was that MP3 players do have a voice-record function. Not sure how good the quality would be, but it's direct plug and play.

err...

all I see is:

and

never said that I couldnt was going to check around for him but couldnt at the time.  Cant know ether but its not like there hard to find.

And not all Mp3 players have this ability- one would need to check the packaging. additionally, they are likely a little more expensive then the basic voice-record device geek described. Also, quality could be poor, since the main feature of the device is MP3 playback, and the "voice record" feature is really just another checkmark on the box.
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 03:21:59 AM »
            I removed it. It would have sprouted another argument, steering this off topic. I will not let it happen again.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 04:12:45 AM »
              cause your being annoing and think that my post count matters.  Any how no they dont I got mine for about twenty dollars or something like that.  The thing is he wont know what it is.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 05:00:44 AM »
              Know what what is?

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 05:07:34 AM »
                the player, its not that good quality wise but I find it to be okay.  Its more like a pc mic sadly.