Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor problems  (Read 2074 times)

wv918

Topic Starter

Monitor problems
    « on: May 18, 2009, 01:37:17 PM »
    First let me say that I am not very computer smart so if it seems like I am explaining obvious stuff please excuse me.

I have a 3 yr old Dell Dimension 1100 desktop and it has been giving me problems lately. To many kids on it downloading stuff and I think it even has a virus or two. Anyway I was reading online where you can do a system restore by doing ctrl+F11 on a Dell if it wasnt very old.

So I was going to try that and the instructions are when you see the Dell splash screen hit ctrl+F11 well only problem with that is for some reason my splash screen doesnt show up. I dont know why as I have never disabled it. So I thought I could try and guess about when the splash screen would come up. I tried it a few times with no luck.

Then this is where I think I screwed up, I held down the ctrl button and about every second I hit F11 after a few times it beeped so I stopped. So then the operating system wouldnt continue loading, like the monitor just blank with the power button being orange.

So I rebooted and still no luck. The lights are on on the front of my cpu as well as the back and the fan is running. When I press a button on the monitor it says it is in power saver mode. I have Windows XP Home if that helps at all.

Sorry for the long detailed explaination I just wanted to make sure I told everything that i did. Any help anybody can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I forgot to mention I did try the monitor on my laptop and it worked fine

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Monitor problems
    « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:50:16 PM »
    It's not clear, if you can boot to Windows in any mode...

wv918

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 04:58:27 AM »
      well luckily my problem got solved haha. i did several things so i dont know what fixed it, i removed the cmos battery for a few seconds and i also switched my ram around so one of the two fixed the problem.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 03:00:55 PM »
      It's always to hear about success :)