Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Security Alert - Certificates?  (Read 2357 times)

OMC_Joe

Topic Starter

Rookie

Security Alert - Certificates?
    « on: May 18, 2009, 09:05:50 PM »
    Recently one of my computers acted up, ran slow, took about 20 minutes for XP Home Edition to load, etc. The initial MB logo screen would sit there for quite a spell as would the following DOS type post screen.... then I would either receive a message that requested I insert a start up disk, sometimes a OS install disk, or the screen might simply bring up the XP intial screen and have that little sideways scroll window run endlessly. Eventually, after about a half hour or so, I could finally get XP to boot up.

I took everything out of it, cleaned, inspected, etc, then carefully reassembled the unit, still to no avail. Ran two different virus programs, backed up everything then ran a registry cleaner program, defragged all drives, etc. Finally one evening, I simply assumed that with the violent electrical storms in central Florida, that the processor or motherboard, or both suffered a electrical surge of sorts and that a new MB/CPU combo was in the works.

The following morning, all ready to drive over to the local CompUSA store to purchase those two items and start from scratch, BUT I thought (for some unknown reason), I'd start up that computer one last time to jot down exactly how long each screen stayed on before moving on to the next one.

The computer started as usual, normal that is, and went thru the normal boot up process with the fast speed that I've been accustomed to. Now, all is well and I have no idea why.... that is, all is well excepting a minor problem which is the reasoning for this post. I did take in and tame a stray cat that I think is mixed with a mountain lion (huge cat) that likes to climb up on my lap, and I of course pet this animal...... perhaps a build up of static electricity has transferred to the computer via this keyboard, something of that nature and it simply took time to wear off.

Present problem...... after this computer returned to normal, I am constantly being bomboarded with "Security Alert" windows that alerts me that the site does not have a up to date "Certificate" or an invalid certificate. This happens when signing on AOL, or going directly from the desktop to the Internet via Internet Explorer, or when opening any website that I choose to open.... and I know that all of these areas are okay, but these warning windows about certificates keep popping up. I've looked for some time, trying to find how to keep them from appearing to no avail.

Running Windows Home Edition XP. Any idea what I can do to eliminate these certificate security alert pop up windows? Thanks for sticking with ths rather lengthy post. (Joe)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Security Alert - Certificates?
    « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 09:30:16 PM »
    You are infected.   :o

Want to prove me wrong? OK, Borrow another PC and use the same internet connection and see what happens. If another PC does it on the  same connection, then I was wrong and it is coming from your service provider.  :-[

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 09:47:25 PM »
    Make sure, your computer date, and time are correct.

OMC_Joe

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 10:07:09 PM »
      No infection, I checked that out thoroughly.

Somehow the date and time had been changed though. Correcting that matter did help.

I also found that a slave hard drive was acting up, one that I simply use for various backups. At times, that slave drive would be okay, and at other times it would not be recognized. I disconnected that drive and the computer straightened out. Strange that a drive would come and go like that.

Thank you all for your replies, I do appreciate the advice.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 10:09:32 PM »
      Nice job :)