Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ethernet or hub problem?  (Read 2188 times)

Steve M

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Ethernet or hub problem?
    « on: May 20, 2009, 06:30:44 AM »
    My computer has started telling me it can't detect my modem, which is a BT Home Hub.  I called the company helpline and we tried altering a few settings but no joy. They said it would either be my ethernet card or network drivers or the hub itself was broken. How do I tell where the problem lies? There are 5 lights on the front of the hub which should be lit, but the last -labelled Data- no longer lights up.
    Please help!

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: Ethernet or hub problem?
      « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 06:32:07 AM »
      I'm not network savy, but did you try pining the other machines?
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Steve M

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 07:02:00 AM »
        Not sure how to do that. Please advise. Thanks!

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 08:01:48 AM »
          what operating system are you running if it's xp or vista go to start run and cmd then ipconfig/all then type ping and it will start automatically for you.

Steve M

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 03:31:48 AM »
            I'm running windows 98 se.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 04:25:53 AM »
              depending what your attempting to connect too with these you'll probably have to do it differntly, aka xp,me.....
              Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres