Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Pls Help! Stack Overflow Error during reinstall  (Read 2593 times)

Precieux

Pls Help! Stack Overflow Error during reinstall
« on: May 17, 2005, 03:14:51 AM »
Hi,

I am now so lost as to what to do, as I do not know very much about computers!  :-[  Any help or advise would be most appreciated!

I re-formatted my laptop harddisk and wanted to re-install MS Milleniuum OS. I used the original backup cd from the manufacturer(gateway) but was however prompted with the following error message...

"An internal stack overflow has caused this session to be halted. Check the STACKS setting in your CONFIG.SYS file and then try again"

Now I am totally lost! I have absolutely no idea how/ where to locate the config.sys file! My drive being newly reformatted should be blank?

And to make matters worse, me being such a klutz have nothing like boot disk floppy (not very sure what that is, but seem to be mentioned quite often with system installtion?!? :o). All I have are the Gateway drivers cd, software cd, and the ME backup cd from Gateway...

Have I just killed my Laptop??   :'( Am so frantic and lost right now as to what to do!

pcdoc4christ

Re: Pls Help! Stack Overflow Error during reinstal
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 11:02:35 AM »
Pre:

There are two ways to fix this...

1. The hard way: Edit the Config.sys file on your boot disk as the following article explains.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q145799/

2. The easy way: Add more Random Access Memory (RAM) to your computer before you install Windows.  Make sure you purchase the right type of RAM stick(s).

Regards,
Doc
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 11:04:00 AM by pcdoc4christ »