Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Blue screen error crash after installing more Ram  (Read 3084 times)

andclu

Topic Starter

Blue screen error crash after installing more Ram
    « on: May 21, 2009, 12:28:50 PM »
    I have recently added 512 mb Ram to my Acer Laptop, since when my computer crashes fairly often after blue screen error. Appears ok if I decrease the hardware accelarator for graphics to none which disables accelarator. Can anyone help? Thanks.   Andclu

truenorth

Guru

Re: Blue screen error crash after installing more Ram
      « Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 06:20:45 PM »
      andclu,Adding new ram sticks can occasionally cause this problem to occur. To verify that this is being caused by the newly added ram i suggest removing it and reverting to the original ram that was there before this one was installed.See if this returns the computer to a state where this crashing does not occur. Then you know if/or not the added ram is causing the problem. It may be a compatibility issue related to the ram that was there and the newly added one. You can also remove the original ram and try to run the computer on only the new 512 MB stick and see what happens.If the computer runs without problems when only the new ram is in it this pretty well confirms a compatibility issue. If however the computer does not run properly with the new 512 stick it could be a defective ram module. How did you determine the type of ram and the amount that could be added to your computer?truenorth

andclu

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 11:06:29 AM »
         Thanks for the advice. I used Offtek scanner to tell me which Ram stick was compatible and bought it from them.   Andclu

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
        Try the Crucial.com online scanner.
        It may be more accurate.

OffTek is a re-seller....Crucial is a manufacturer.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "