Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Quick question on finding something  (Read 3293 times)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
  • Experience: Familiar
Quick question on finding something
« on: May 23, 2009, 09:04:45 PM »
I am trying to remember where in the computer it was to go for this setting that someone helped me on awhile back.
It was something that was causing the computer to come up with that started right before this past Christmas and I had a repairman work on it and then came up with it again right after he left, but then someone on here helped me with that, and it was some setting that was marked but I don't remember where it was though, and I want to let my brother-in-law know what exactly it was because he is thinking it is spyware or something that causing it.
The message was-
This computer is in use and has been locked. Only Amy\AmyR or an administrator can unlock this computer. Then had a place for a username and password.
Then when the repairman brought it back, it came back up with it again, but it had something a little different and I have no idea even what he did to let me back in. But it seemed to mostly have the same message and added the word Help in parenthesees (Help)
So, it said
This computer is in use and has been locked. Only Amy\AmyR (Help) or an administrator can unlock this computer.

And in the Usermame area Help would be in that area and then nothing for a password. It let me in, but before this ever happend, it never had any message like this come up. I told the guy too that I have no idea what it wants either, because see I use so many different websites and stuff, so I have so many different usernames and passwords.
One thing I would like to understand too is what in the world this repairman even did to my computer to allow me back in at all? This computer stuff gets so confusing at times, and I'd love to understand it better.

Thanks,
Amy

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

• Experience: Experienced
Re: Quick question on finding something
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 12:16:34 AM »
Is Amy/Amyr a User for the computer?

What happens if you restart the computer?
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 12:50:04 PM »
 at the page top , click new replies to your posts go to the question you are looking

for and the answer that someone helped you with I am trying to

remember where in the computer it was to go for this
  me on

awhile back
  and read what you were told

from this and your LAST question this repair man did not help you stay away from him

as i told you in your last question if your looking help here do as the experts say they

are only here to HELP you , harry
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 01:20:22 PM by harry 48 »

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 01:40:12 PM »
Is Amy/Amyr a User for the computer?

What happens if you restart the computer?

I'm the only one who uses the computer.
It kept happening everytime I turn on computer.
at the page top , click new replies to your posts go to the question you are looking

for and the answer that someone helped you with I am trying to

remember where in the computer it was to go for this
  me on

awhile back
  and read what you were told

from this and your LAST question this repair man did not help you stay away from him

as i told you in your last question if your looking help here do as the experts say they

are only here to HELP you , harry
It's not in any of the posts because someone in the chatroom is who helped me with it. I'm only trying to remember where it was so I can show it to my brother-in-law who is helping me and my mom with our computer problems. He was thinking was maybe a virus or spyware that caused it, but it seemed to be a setting that was wrong because that helped when I fixed something that was marked.
I have so many memory problems due to my health causes me memory problems, and I don't remember where in computer it was located. Hoping maybe someone will know.

Thanks,
Amy

harry 48

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 02:15:32 PM »
i'm 64 and i have a note book at the pc and write things down to do with the pc i want to remember

are you on xp or what

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/search.aspx?=&qu=user+account+control

go to above and you my find something to help change it
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 03:05:51 PM by harry 48 »

harry 48

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 03:30:42 PM »
when you go out of chat everything is lost

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 04:31:16 PM »
Amy - your problem can be caused by a third party screensaver which has a password lock enabled.  If you have installed a third party screensaver you could try uninstalling it.

See KB242917.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 07:46:17 PM »
I finally found what it was, I sort of remember it was something to do with resume password. So, I tried doing a search for it on Google and it came up with answers to questions and instructions, so I went to look and see if that's what it was, and it is.

Here are the instructions so you can see what it was, and then maybe does someone know how this could have got marked?

To protect your files by using a screen saver password
Open Display in Control Panel.
On the Screen Saver tab under Screen saver, click a screen saver.
Select the On resume, password protect check box.
If Fast User Switching is turned on, select the On resume, display Welcome screen check box.

Yes, I actually have a bunch of notebooks to write things down. One thing I have written down is all the different error messages I get all the time on things and then I leave places so I can write down instructions later on about what we do and stuff to fix the problems. Only other thing is I do run into alot of problems with writing due to my disabilities, so mostly have to get others to write stuff down for me.
Oh and I was wondering, what do you think of using the feature to save remember password for sites you go to? My brother-in-law keeps saying I need to not do that, but then how on earth do you remember everything if you don't do that? It's easier for me than just writing it down which I'm sometimes afraid if I write down my passwords then I might make a mistake and write something wrong because I try and make all my passwords really long and complicated and use combos of numbers and letters. The other thing I keep trying to figure out, is there a way to print that list out of the saved passwords?

harry 48

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 02:24:20 PM »
http://www.screencapturer.com/

go to above , download , and it will take a picture on the screen of the error and any answers , save them to your documents and you can read them anytime you need them , no writing

yes use the password saver , i always use the same password for all sites if i can then i wont forget it , and keep it simple

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 10:50:39 PM »
Don't I need to have a camera or one of those webcam things hooked up to the computer though for this thing? I don't have any of those on the computer.

harry 48

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 01:10:56 PM »
http://www.screencapturer.com/

when you see any of these sent to you they are for you to download , go to it and down load it to your pc , it is a camera , play around with it before you use it , harry

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 02:02:13 PM »
Harry it's not a camera ...it's a screenshot program...
A camera is not needed to take a screenshot.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

harry 48

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 02:15:01 PM »
ok i know what it is , but i did not want to confuse amyr7 , it will do what he needs , it brings up a camera and takes a picture of the screen which he/she can save to file