Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Remove icon from the taskbar  (Read 2261 times)

willythecat

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    Remove icon from the taskbar
    « on: May 24, 2009, 04:56:45 PM »
    Windows or Network? Plumped for Windows!
    Just tidying up the taskbar and there is one last icon causing me a problem. It's a small double monitor display with a red cross, left over from when it went in for repairs and they had to locally connect to it. Just can't get rid of!
    If l click on it, it comes up in the network connections panel under Lan or High-Speed Internet and is using the Via Compatable Fast Ethernet. It wont let me delete it as it says it's still in use.
    It's not life threatening, but just annoying.
    I can disable the Via Compatable through Device Manager, but I didn't want to disable anything if it would cause future connection problems.
    Is this in fact the way to remove it?

midsail

Hopeful
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Remove icon from the taskbar
      « Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 07:51:59 PM »
      Hello
      First click the icon and it should tell u the name of the connection. Next go to My Network Place>view network connection>u should see a list/icons of networks connections. Find the one that is disconnected (the one that had the red X)>right click and deselect show (click the check mark out)  shoe icon. That should do the trick.

willythecat

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
        Re: Remove icon from the taskbar
        « Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 02:06:04 AM »
        Hi midsail,
        Had another look in device manager, and the Via connection can be disabled as well as deleted. Disabled it and it's done the job.
        Thanks again