Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: video memory  (Read 3539 times)

hot dog

video memory
« on: May 26, 2009, 02:53:22 AM »
Is 32 mb of video memory lousy for watching online videos, say with windows media player?

I've got an XP machine with 512 mb RAM.  Computer Properties indicates that theres 480 mb RAM, dxdiag indicates 32 mb is for video memory...total 512 mb (as indicated in CMOS as well)  No graphics card, just onboard video.  I'm unable to allocate any more video memory in CMOS because it's already at it's max :(

When I watch some videos it looks like it is buffering ok, but the video stops for a split second or so, and it happens like every 10 seconds...very annoying

I've done all the basic stuff, disk clean-up, virus-scans, defrag, registry cleaner..

KingPincer

Intermediate

Re: video memory
    « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 03:45:48 AM »
    Does this happen with all the videos you have watched? Does it take time for the video to load completely?

rebel214

Beginner
    • They call me the "rebel"...
      « Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 03:50:58 AM »
      Can you please post your full computer specs?

Please see here...

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,33328.0.html

Everything has it's own place, in proper time...

hot dog

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:33:49 AM »
      specs are:  you guessed it!  eMachines, Model: W2247  Windows XP Home Serv. Pack 3  512 MB RAM, AMD Athlon XP Processor

I did update my video driver recently but it didn't do any good :(

I've actually been watching Lab Rats lately because they are somewhat entertaining :D
      Here:   http://www.butterscotch.com/show/BitTorrent-Unscrambled

when I select which option to download, I choose Windows Media Player.....It loads up and everything, but it does what I said, pauses momentarily like every 5 - 10 seconds.. :o

hot dog

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 11:39:51 AM »
      Does this happen with all the videos you have watched? Does it take time for the video to load completely?

It takes about 20 seconds to download (I mean from the time I click to see the video and the time it takes to play is about 20 seconds), but this doesn't happen with all videos I watch.  My DVD player software is HonesTech DVD player and it works fine, however it only works if I run it while using 256 color mode...What I'll do is right-click on the HonesTech icon, select properties, click on the compatibility tab, and select "run in 256 colors".....When actually starting the program it makes the whole Windows OS run in 256 colors, everything looks funky!  If I don't use 256 color mode, it runs very slow with frequent pauses.

edit: I'd just like to add that the general experience using this machine has been slow.  When clicking on certain folder to open them, it always hangs for 2-3 seconds..I understand that sometimes there's latency due to paging in virtual memory, but Windows XP requires 64 mb minimum to run, and this machine has 512!
      « Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 11:52:20 AM by blockHEAD »

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 11:49:36 AM »
      Not an expert opinion, but I'd install another card if you have an open expansion slot.  Doesn't have to be anything uber-gamer, l33t, or anything like that.  I'd bet you could get a nice price on a 128 MB video RAM card -- sorry, haven't priced them, lately -- just an example -- 128 is not even close to top end, anymore...even a 64 MB card would obviously double your ability.

It would make the rest of the RAM available to the computer, too.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

hot dog

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 11:55:35 AM »
      Not an expert opinion, but I'd install another card if you have an open expansion slot.  Doesn't have to be anything uber-gamer, l33t, or anything like that.  I'd bet you could get a nice price on a 128 MB video RAM card -- sorry, haven't priced them, lately -- just an example -- 128 is not even close to top end, anymore...even a 64 MB card would obviously double your ability.

It would make the rest of the RAM available to the computer, too.

As a matter of fact, I've been planning on putting a card in this machine, I just trying to see if there is something I'm missing.. ;)  because I don't want to overfix the problem

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 12:08:17 PM »
      I get what you mean...if you don't mind throwing a few bucks at it, I think you'll be pleased.  (I remember when 32MB video RAM was pretty "hot.")

rebel214

Beginner
      • They call me the "rebel"...
        « Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 02:46:49 AM »
        I get what you mean...if you don't mind throwing a few bucks at it, I think you'll be pleased.  (I remember when 32MB video RAM was pretty "hot.")

Agreed...

Here's a list from Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=agp+cards&x=0&y=0

And by the way, please post us here for the updates.... ;D

Everything has it's own place, in proper time...

hot dog

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 03:43:09 PM »
        I stole an  AGP card out of an old DELL OPTIPLEX GX150 computers :D....

It's an Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440

Only draw back is that in order for me to fit it into the desktop computer I had to break off part of the face plate ( the part that holds the screw), because the DELL computer was one of those low-profile type computers and card is somewhat narrow..........if ya'll catch my drift.      Because of that, the card doesn't sit very secure inside my desktop, however, AGP slots have those locks on them that hold the card to the AGP slot so I think it will be alright....Although I may be compromising the airflow in the computer, because the AGP card doesn't cover the entire back plate area...

On the other hand, the Pro's of this are that I now have 64 mb of video memory instead of 32 mb.........and, my entire 512 mb of RAM is now allocated for my OS...............the computer does feel a lot better now.....we'll see how it is with videos.....I imagine it will be improved..

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 03:44:59 PM »
        Yes, let us know.

You should see improvement. 

hot dog

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 04:08:05 PM »
        confirmed, sir!

Video is now fully operational and all system are go! :)

I don't have to use the HonesTech DVD player software in 256 Colors anymore, either 8)

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 04:30:30 PM »
        Very nice...I'm glad you figured a solution!

hot dog

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 04:32:50 PM »
        oh and uh, thanks for the pointers ;)