Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disk management empty, USB drives not showing up  (Read 5063 times)

Fracta

Topic Starter

Starter

Disk management empty, USB drives not showing up
    « on: May 26, 2009, 04:16:33 PM »
    Ok I'm starting a new thread as requested. I've attached screenshots of my problems.
    Disk management is empty apart from my dvd drives. One is real and one is from magicdisk or daemon tools. My hard drives and anything I plug in doesn't show up in disk management or My Computer BUT they do show up in Device Manager. I have made sure the right processes for disk management are starting up.

When I first discovered disk management was empty, I tried clicking rescan disks. Nothing changed in disk management but several drives disappeared from My Computer. A restart fixed it.

When I plug in my usb drive, I get the safely remove devices thing in the taskbar and it plays the connect sound. It also shows up in device manager.

I have been using a lot of different virus scan programs to get rid of whatever is doing this but to no avail.

I tried rootkit revealer and it showed a couple of entries in the registry that I couldn't delete. I scanned with Avira and it found them too but apparently it couldnt delete them either. Maybe this has something to do with it.
    I remember doing a fix before where the controlset001,002 were used by a virus. Any ideas on how I can get rid of these hidden entries?

I've already scanned for rootkits and done virus scans and everything i could think of. Updating drivers does nothing. Its not because of something I have installed. I haven't installed anything new since it happened.

pc info:
    xp version 5.1 build 2600, service pack 2.
    I get no error messages.
    Custom built pc. Hardware hasn't changed for 2 years and I have had windows reinstalled a couple of times. Never had this problem.
    AMD athlon 64 3500+ (2.2ghz)
    2 gb ram
    asus a8r-32 mvp deluxe mboard
    nvidia 8800 GTS 640mb
    I have 4 physical hard drives and 3 of them are partitioned making a total of 8 drives.
    I have all the latest drivers installed. I have checked services.msc for anything that isn't starting.
    The problem started a few weeks ago. I only noticed because my mp3 player wasn't showing up.
    This has me completely stumped.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Disk management empty, USB drives not showing up
    « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 04:20:27 PM »
    Please go to http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html and post the 3 logs, so an expert can properly help you.
    Where's MagicSpeed?
    Quote from: 'matt'
    He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.