Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bootable Floppy to Allow Booting From DVD?  (Read 25210 times)

Compeek

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Bootable Floppy to Allow Booting From DVD?
    « Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 12:49:51 PM »
    It's not the 64-bit version of 7 is it?
    Nope. I have both, but I'm definitely using the 32-bit one.

When it only found a Readme.txt, what did that file contain?
    Hm. Good question. I didn't even look. I won't have the computer with me for a couple more days, but I'll post the contents then.

Have you tried booting from a different DVD drive?
    I tried this with the Beta (this is the RC) and at that time I believe I did. When I'm back with the computer I'll take the DVD drive out of my regular desktop and try that. Although now that I think about it, I don't think that's going to work because it's SATA and even though I have a SATA enclosure, this PC won't boot from USB. Hm. I probably have another IDE one somewhere...

Are you SURE you want Win7 on this machine?!  ;)
    Hahaha. Yes, I do.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 07:20:51 PM »
    I suspect the drive itself...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 08:15:58 AM »
      Compeek, I have been giving this question more thought and have a new idea.Based on the fact that the objective is to get Win 7 on this particular computer so as to be able to "play " with it; the manner of getting it there is secondary. So let's go a different installation route.Somethings would need to be changed that exist currently.Such as you would HAVE TO install an O/S on your drive "C". Next using another computer which does permitt the transfer of the Win 7 using a fresh HDD installed as a slave (or even a SATA) install the win 7 on it in the compatible file format (probably FAT 32 as opposed to NTSF) to enable use when the HDD is removed and installed as a slave on the one you cannot get it on currently. Now i do suspect there may be issues even with this route. Is win 7 available in FAT 32 or is it only in NTSF? I feel certain that an external HDD could not be used for this as Microsoft more than likely will not allow Win 7 to be installed on an external.I still am concerned with the ultimate viability and performance of the win 7 on this computer given the 768MB of available ram (unless it can be substantially boosted). As is commonly known many computers running Vista were sold with only 1 GB of ram whereas the general concensus is that 2 GB is needed. Given Microsoft's tendency to raise the ram required for newer O/S i would suspect that Win 7 is even more demanding than Vista in that area. Just guessing there though as i have no experience with win 7.All this is based on Patio's comment not being a factor.Others may have more to say regarding this alternative method. truenorth

Compeek

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 05:46:53 PM »
        This page has Win 7 minimum (recommended?) requirements for reference. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/installation-instructions.aspx

truenorth, you are right that the way of installation doesn't matter for me to try it out on the PC, but yeah, I don't think Windows will work installing on another computer and moving the drive.

I'll be back with the PC shortly, and I'll post an update if I figure out anything. If I can find another drive, I'll try it out.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 06:08:48 PM »
          Compeek, I was successfull quite sometime back when i had a Sony Viao that had a corrupted XP Home O/S that would not allow me to access anything on the computer. Not BIOS. Not Safe Mode--nothing. I installed Win 98 SE on an other HDD (via another computer) brought it over to the Sony.Was able to access the computer then. Then without removing the primary HDD was able to install XP Pro corporate on it and in fact this is the computer i am using at the moment to do this post. I have been able to continuously use this Sony without serious problems ever since. So that is why i have made the suggestion i did.truenorth

Compeek

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 06:45:50 PM »
            All right, I'm back home with the PC now, and I tried another DVD drive with the same lack of success. This other DVD drive would not boot the Windows 7 disc or the Slackware disc either. So I'm pretty that the PC itself is the problem, not the DVD drive. When I get a chance, I'm going to try truenorth's suggestion of installing with another computer and moving the drive. Let's hope it works!

Dias de verano

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2009, 12:18:41 AM »
            I'm going to try truenorth's suggestion of installing with another computer and moving the drive. Let's hope it works!

Unless the other PC is more or less identical hardware-wise, installing Windows this way will practically always fail. The last version of Windows with which you could do this was 3.x.

Compeek

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 07:49:36 AM »
              Yeah, we know. But considering the fact that installing from a disc isn't going to work, it's at least worth trying. It's not like I have anything to lose.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
                • Me
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 12:46:07 PM »
              Did you get anywhere trying an intermediate boot loader like Smart BootManager?
              Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 05:54:41 PM »

Compeek

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 07:12:23 PM »
                patio, believe me, the drive is fine. I use this drive all the time in an enclosure for DVD stuff, and it works fine. I've tried another drive with the exact same results trying to boot 7 in this PC.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
                  • Me
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 05:59:09 AM »
                I suspect a BIOS issue...
                Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Compeek

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 09:53:19 AM »
                  I'm actually running a modified BIOS I found somewhere because at one point I put in a different PIII CPU that wouldn't work right with the original BIOS.

I tried Smart BootManager with no success. Every time I tried to boot from the DVD drive is just gave me some disc error. I then found PLoP, which looked promising and even let me boot from USB though the BIOS doesn't support it, but no dice. I tried both drives with the USB enclosure and both just plugged into the motherboard. I also tried a number of bootable DVDs. Every time I tried to boot from the drive, it would act like it was going to do something and then just sit there forever without success.

I'm still going to attempt to transfer the hard drive after installing in another computer, but I'm thinking that's going to cause too many problems. We'll see.

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 10:00:23 AM »
                  I know this has already been asked probably but what bootable CD's have you tried ? ?
                  Is there a way to revert the BIOS flash ? ?

Compeek

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 10:28:35 AM »
                    For bootable DVDs, I've tried Windows 7 RC (DVD-R), Windows 7 Beta (DVD+R), and Slackware 12.0 (DVD+RW). All bootable CDs work fine.

I'm sure I could revert the BIOS, but I'd rather not. I don't remember how I did it, and I don't feel like putting the original processor back in just to try this. It was just for fun in the first, and there comes a point when something is not worth the effort anymore. :)