Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to Stop Laptop Theft  (Read 7745 times)

jaman101

Topic Starter

Starter

How to Stop Laptop Theft
    « on: May 27, 2009, 02:18:09 PM »
    If you run a small business, your biggest IT worry is probably not when or whether to upgrade to Vista; it's how to keep your valuable equipment--and the even more precious data it contains--out of the hands of thieves. Laptops and mobile gadgets like cell phones, PDAs, and USB flash drives have become a necessity in many business settings. And such equipment now spends more time than ever outside the office, as employees work at home or in the nearest Starbucks.
    That development presents a huge opportunity for loss and theft. Laptop thefts out of parked cars and conference rooms may grab headlines, but a far greater number of devices simply get left behind in places like cabs, subways, and airplanes. YouGetItBack.com reports that La Guardia airport alone has accumulated more than 70,000 unclaimed laptops and PDAs in its lost and found. According to Accenture, 10 to 15 percent of all handheld computers, PDAs, mobile phones, and pagers are eventually lost by their owners.
    Laptops have become increasingly attractive targets for identity thieves, too. A 2006 Ponemon Institute study reported an 81 percent increase in the number of companies reporting stolen laptops between 2005 and 2006. Even notebooks that never leave the office can be targets, as many thefts are inside jobs.
    Most small businesses can weather the physical loss of a laptop or two, especially if their insurance policy covers the hardware. But the files on the machine may raise more-troubling issues: They can hold trade secrets or financial and customer data; they may not be backed up on a central server; and losing them may trigger embarrassing public reporting requirements under several recent federal and state laws.
    According to a 2007 survey by McAfee and Datamonitor, a data breach involving personal customer information could cost a company, on average, $268,000 in reporting expenses--even if the data is never used. And one-third of the companies surveyed said that a major security breach had the potential to put them out of business entirely.
    You can take several key steps to protect both your laptops and your data. By adopting these measures, you'll greatly reduce your risk of losing key hardware and data.
    Track Your Laptop With an ID
    The first step is to slap an ID tag on each laptop, BlackBerry, digital camera, and USB key your business owns, and record it with a recovery service. An astonishingly large number of businesses never record even the serial numbers of their equipment, police say, making it impossible for authorities to reunite found items with their rightful owners. Tracking tags give you an opportunity to enter serial number information as you tag each item, after which you can use the recovery service as a basic inventory system. (You should definitely maintain serial-number records, as well as purchase receipts, in case of insurance claims.)
    Recovery services report recovery rates of 75 percent and higher on tagged items. Evidently, most people who find laptops are honest, and by offering prepaid returns and a reward on the tag (which lists an 800 number), the service makes it easy to do the right thing.
    The services have you register each item on the Web, with identifying information; then they contact you to arrange return if an item is found. The price is nominal, usually around $5-$10 per label, with quantity discounts. Vendors that offer labeling and recovery services include ArmorTag, BoomerangIt, StuffBak, TrackItBack, YouGetItBack.com, and zReturn.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: How to Stop Laptop Theft
    « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 02:27:43 PM »
    Nice article.

Is it yours, or are you quoting a source?
    I only ask because copyright, and so forth, are becoming an increasing area of concern on the Internet.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 02:52:18 PM »
    I suspected as much, for a variety of reasons.

I point out to the original poster that it is best to, at the least "quote" the article via the Insert Quote button -- even better still to provide a link, or at least the name of the author.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 03:14:27 PM »
    I suspected as much, for a variety of reasons.

I point out to the original poster that it is best to, at the least "quote" the article via the Insert Quote button -- even better still to provide a link, or at least the name of the author.
    It's called leeching...Nobody likes leechers, even on Sythe.org, the lowest of all forums.
    Where's MagicSpeed?
    Quote from: 'matt'
    He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 03:58:35 PM »
    actually, it's called Plagiarism.
    "leeching" is just a meaningless term used by those of inferior intelligence whose vocabulary doesn't consist of real words that are longer then 5 or 6 letters.

No offense, of course.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 04:01:40 PM »
    actually, it's called Plagiarism.
    "leeching" is just a meaningless term used by those of inferior intelligence whose vocabulary doesn't consist of real words that are longer then 5 or 6 letters.

No offense, of course.
    Actually, leeching does have a meaning. Leeching, is the act of being like a leech, sucking off the host (or plagiarizing). It might not be an OFFICIAL word in whatever dictionary you want, but that's what it means.

And btw, leeching is a real word by the CHF Spell Check...
    Where's MagicSpeed?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 04:14:40 PM »
    leeching is what a leech does. any other usage is metaphorical based on that.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 04:21:36 PM »
    leeching is what a leech does. any other usage is metaphorical based on that.
    Just deal with the fact that saying "He's leeching." is gramatically correct. It may be metaphorical, but it still works.
    Where's MagicSpeed?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 04:24:37 PM »
    Except you never said "he's leeching" you said:

It's called leeching

And it isn't. It's called plagiarism. Deal with that.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 04:30:06 PM »
    Except you never said "he's leeching"
    But I did say that saying "He's leeching." is grammatically correct.
    Where's MagicSpeed?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 01:22:26 AM »
    Guys, this is a computer issues forum, not a grammar police forum.  Enough!
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 05:03:04 AM »
      Just smack them with it when they try an take it.  Personally there is a free way of doing it which I havent worked out since know one is willing to help me with part of it.  I can however get the other part working but know way to read the code its self.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 05:20:55 AM »
      Most thefts, from what I understand, are not direct -- the target is not directly confronted.  Laptops are stolen when no one is around, or when people are distracted.  Airport security checks, and the distractions they provide, are a prime example of a high-theft situation.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 05:28:29 AM »
        I suppose the best distraction is one you never see comeing but are on the look out for.
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres