Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ebooks on DOS  (Read 6694 times)

BatchFileBasics

Hopeful

Re: Ebooks on DOS
    « Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 11:11:43 PM »
    hm well i guess im different
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace - Jimi Hendrix.

gh0std0g74

Apprentice

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 11:26:55 PM »
      yes batch isn't the best use of syntax but it gives the scripting virgins an idea of how syntax works.
      same can be done with programming/scripting languages. eg Python. It has the cleanest syntax around (IMO).

and just jumping into a programming language like c or vb6 looks very overwhelming.
      no , i am not referring to them. there are better languages for a beginner beside them.

Dias de verano

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 02:15:35 AM »
      I think the "batch is crap" - "No it isn't" debate is looking a bit tired these days. Just my personal opinion. Every time somebody asks for some pointers to beginning command scripting the thread degenerates into a series of plugs for Python, Perl, etc. We haven't seen Ruby or Tcl suggested yet, but give it time. I am old enough to remember people like Seymour Papert who pioneered the use of the Logo programming language in schools in the 1980s. Logo has been called "Lisp without the brackets". During that decade the 8 bit home computer introduced many people to programming for the first time. These machines usually had a BASIC in ROM that served not only as a programming language but was for all intents and purposes a command line OS as well. If you wanted to do something without purchasing a "proper" language such as Pascal or C (if they were available for your machine) you got to grips with the tools that you already had. Lisp, Logo, Commodore 64 BASIC, BASICA, no matter. You learn the basics of turning your ideas into code. I don't believe for a second that if a person starts off with NT command scripting they are going to be harmed for life. If cmd scripts are bad and wicked then Bash can't be much better. There are many doors that open into the world of programming. The important thing is to open one and pass through.

gh0std0g74

Apprentice

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 04:43:10 AM »
        You learn the basics of turning your ideas into code. I don't believe for a second that if a person starts off with NT command scripting they are going to be harmed for life.
        yes, i agree with you too. Just that if the tools used does not support your ideas in programming, then its not really a good tool.
        If cmd scripts are bad and wicked then Bash can't be much better.
        if you really had used bash, you would know its way much better than cmd, in terms of what it can provide, like arrays, regular expressions, string processing, printf, getting web pages, while loops, ...etc.
        There are many doors that open into the world of programming. The important thing is to open one and pass through.comm
        its even better if one knows which one to open in the first place.

whatever it is, we are not living in the 80's, or 90's anymore. programming languages have evolved a great deal since then together with technology. they are there to help the programmer write better and more efficient code in the least amount of time. that's the reality in the 21st century.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 04:50:09 AM »
        This argument is completely useless and off topic.

If I interpret Biscoolcool's question correctly, he is looking to expand his knowledge with DOS, most likely MSDOS and/or Windows Command Prompt.
        By telling him to look into other programming languages and debating whether or not he should learn batch scripting or not is completely besides the point.

Though I am not picking out members in particular, Ghostdog, Dias; you two have a knack for arguing with each other in every topic you post in. This is unacceptable. Learn to maintain a positive and friendly attitude on the forums. If you have problems, settle them in a PM, not here.

Now for the rest of you, stop this senseless quarreling or I will.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #20 on: May 31, 2009, 04:53:33 AM »
        Biscoolcool, unless you can be more specific on what you want, I can refer you to our ComputerHope-Help pages:

http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm
        http://www.computerhope.com/batch.htm

gh0std0g74

Apprentice

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2009, 05:02:25 AM »
          This argument is completely useless and off topic.
          no, its not. I am merely guiding OP to the right door. Why is it useless and OT? Its not useless and OT until OP says so or you can prove what i say is wrong. can you prove that what i say is wrong?

If I interpret Biscoolcool's question correctly, he is looking to expand his knowledge with DOS, most likely MSDOS and/or Windows Command Prompt.
          By telling him to look into other programming languages and debating whether or not he should learn batch scripting or not is completely besides the point.
          Why not. What's wrong with telling him the benefits of not learning batch?

Though I am not picking out members in particular, Ghostdog, Dias; you two have a knack for arguing with each other in every
          well, in a way, you are picking out members by listing our nicks right?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 05:04:12 AM »
          I'm not going to satisfy you with a counter-argument.

BatchFileBasics

Hopeful

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 11:21:50 AM »
            carbon, can you please just lock this topic,

biscoolcool, here:
            http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dos+ebooks&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g2

just use the power of google.

so i think we can finish the arguing of programming in the dos board
            When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace - Jimi Hendrix.