Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help me UPGRADE!!!  (Read 2452 times)

compsunn123

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Help me UPGRADE!!!
    « on: May 30, 2009, 02:46:19 PM »
    Alright so it is definitely time for me to re-format my computer, and then buy a few upgrades to improve speed and everything else!

What kind of info would you guys need from me? Here is some basic info:

-Dell Dimension 4500 S

-Windows XP

-Verizon Fios (Not really exciting and fun with such a slow lagging computer, I really want to see the speed correctly on a good comp :P)

-System RAM
    You Have: 254 MB

-Video Card
    You Have: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (Intel(R) 82845G Graphics Controller)

-Free Disk Space

You Have: 95.5 GB out of 130 GB

Ok so as you can tell, my computer is very, VERY slow. I can't even run more than 1 or 2 processes at the same time (such as Mozilla with Microsoft paint, or notepad, etc.)

I know that I should first start with memory. My question is though, I have read about making sure that the memory even fits and works on my computer first of all. How do IO figure this out? I was going to buy a Kingston 1024MB PC5400 DDR2, but what if my computer isn't even made to sort of "handle" it, I can't explain it correctly.

Graphics cards are easier I think, and most will work with many computers.

Thanks a lot!!!

hot dog

Re: Help me UPGRADE!!!
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 03:34:48 PM »
    if you are not sure about what kind of RAM you need, go here: http://www.crucial.com/              and run a test on your computer

If your computer experience is generally slow, go here:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000179.htm

;D

Ironman

Hopeful
    • Virtus, Veneratio, Fidelitas
      • Yes
      • My Personal Site
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 04:09:47 PM »
    Looking at the Dell Dimension 4500S specs, you either have a Pentium 4 or Celeron processor. Which is ok for and XP laptop. I recommend that you upgrade your RAM to 1-2GB and upgrade your hard drive to at least 250GB. If you want to play some video games that require good graphics or want to work with high-level graphics I would then recommend you to upgrade your video card, but if you don't need to do any of those things then I wouldn't be necessary to upgrade your video card. To buy your hardware I would go to www.newegg.com.

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 04:20:56 PM »
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews4599.html

Check this out.

May be time for a full change my friend.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 09:14:40 PM »
    I'm using a Dimension 4400 right now. I got it used- so the only thing that's the same as when it was retail would be the power supply, motherboard, and CPU. (P4 1.6Ghz).

I upgraded the RAM (1GB) Installed a new HD (500GB) Video card (Geforce 2MX to 5500FX) and Sound Card (some stripped SBLive! for a X-Fi XtremeGamer) Added a USB2 card I had lying around and it's met my needs quite well.

Ironman is quite on the money regarding his suggested upgrades- but I think another thing that needs to be mentioned is that, even with those specs, it shouldn't be having too much difficulty- surely not 1 or 2 programs. I suspect a heavy infestation of malware which is responsible for the reduced performance.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Mulreay

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 09:18:30 PM »
    I was trying to make a point with my link but BC you....... did that very well.

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 10:23:26 PM »
    I was trying to make a point with my link but BC you....... did that very well.

As long as you have good firewall, antivirus program and a maloware scanner or two, if you are still not happy with it's performance for what you want to do then .....