Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitors have quit working for windows XP but not for Linux  (Read 2487 times)

draken34m

Topic Starter

Starter

I switched one of my monitors to a older computer while my newest one was still on. When I finished and tried to switch the monitor back it was no longer reading it. So I tried restarting it and switching places on the connection to the computer. Now neither one works in windows but they work just fine in Linux.

I have a intel duo 2.66 Ghz and a nvidia 8800 graphics card  and run off an nvidia motherboard.

I appreciate any help you can give.

hot dog

Re: Monitors have quit working for windows XP but not for Linux
    « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 12:57:29 PM »
    Are you able to see anything at all when you turn on your computer with both monitors plugged in?  Are you able to see the BIOS version (screen that pops up right when you turn on the computer)?

Can you see anything with only ONE monitor plugged in?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 01:37:40 PM »
    You unhooked them with the power on ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

draken34m

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 06:47:13 AM »
      Yea, when it boots up I can see everything up to the windows loading screen. After the screen everything goes black.

Yes, I unhooked them while the power was on. I was trying to get some old files from an old computer and only have one mouse and keyboard between the two. So one computer has to already be on for be to transfer files.

draken34m

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 07:04:42 AM »
        I did try the one monitor plugged in approach and its still no go.