Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Not sure excatly why this keeps happening  (Read 24967 times)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Not sure excatly why this keeps happening
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 05:48:26 PM »
So, is everyone's website at www.example.com? I don't know if I understand what you mean by that.
What about my site on like Bellsouth since we are paying for our Internet and all through them?
Or on Webkinz I'm designing things on there, I had to buy a pet and all though. 
Of course I guess I really don't care since I'm not doing this for a job or anything. Only doing it for a hobby due to my health I'll most likely not ever be able to get a job, so I wouldn't want to keep having to buy the website anyways.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 05:57:44 PM »
So, is everyone's website at www.example.com? I don't know if I understand what you mean by that.
What about my site on like Bellsouth since we are paying for our Internet and all through them?
Of course I guess I really don't care since I'm not doing this for a job or anything. Only doing it for a hobby due to my health I'll most likely not ever be able to get a job, so I wouldn't want to keep having to buy the website anyways.
If you buy a website, like www.example.com , you own it until it expires. People buy their own websites, then they have a website like www.abc.com . On their own website, they can put pages on it. Your myspace is just a page on MySpace.com , but is not an actual SITE, it is a PAGE. (It's a bit confusing, so I don't blame you if you don't understand at first)
Where's MagicSpeed?
Quote from: 'matt'
He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

Ironman

Hopeful
  • Virtus, Veneratio, Fidelitas
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 05:58:58 PM »

No, not everyone's website is www.example.com. What they are trying to say is that it would be better if you had you own website, then you would be able to control your content and choose what you could put up on your website, if you have a Myspace account you would have to abide by their rules and limitations, like not being able to use the IFRAME tag. Anyway you just follow kpac's link for your original question.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 07:47:01 PM »
Another reason I'd like to understand this stuff better is so I can keep from being hacked and or get viruses and spyware by not going to dangerous websites.
So I guess do I not need to worry if I'm at someones myspace site or some other site similar to myspace with the rules to abide to?
Anyways, I thought that everything on the internet is considered a website since you have to use a web browser to access the sites, and I've read the definition on sites like wikipedia and thought I understood what a website is.  Here is some of what they say it is-
A website (or web site) is a collection of related web pages, images, videos or other digital assets that are addressed with a common domain name or IP address in an Internet Protocol-based network. A web site is hosted on at least one web server, accessible via the Internet or a private local area network.A web page is a document, typically written in plain text interspersed with formatting instructions of Hypertext Markup Language (HTML, XHTML). A web page may incorporate elements from other web sites with suitable markup anchors.

I guess my site on Bellsouth maybe considered a website since it expires and so does my account on Webkinz and Kookeys expires too? See myspace does allow like html and css stuff like that, which makes it even more confusing. 

Oh and I did get the picture to work. Thanks again for help with it.

Oh and guess what, I put some links to your sites in my blog too.
If anyone else has a website, let me know so I can add it. One of the things I enjoy doing is surfing the net and then writing about/making a page of all the different sites I've been too.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 11:14:29 PM »
Anyways, I thought that everything on the internet is considered a website since you have to use a web browser to access the sites, and I've read the definition on sites like wikipedia and thought I understood what a website is.  Here is some of what they say it is-
A website (or web site) is a collection of related web pages, images, videos or other digital assets that are addressed with a common domain name or IP address in an Internet Protocol-based network. A web site is hosted on at least one web server, accessible via the Internet or a private local area network.A web page is a document, typically written in plain text interspersed with formatting instructions of Hypertext Markup Language (HTML, XHTML). A web page may incorporate elements from other web sites with suitable markup anchors.
when you add content to a myspace page- your not creating your own website- your "personalizing" your myspace profile. Same with Facebook, and any number of other social networking sites. What your doing, is adding content to somebody elses website- when you add content to your myspace page, it doesn't save HTML documents- it stores your entries in it's database, along with everyone elses.

I guess my site on Bellsouth maybe considered a website since it expires and so does my account on Webkinz and Kookeys expires too? See myspace does allow like html and css stuff like that, which makes it even more confusing.

IMO- you administer a web-site when you are in sole control of the files that make it up. in the case of myspace, myspace (as you've discovered) changes your HTML code and removes elements from it. I'm not familar with the other two you mentioned but I can assure you they are not "websites" in anything but a extremely loose definition.

I also have been creating sites on Facebook, Angelfire, Geocities, also now trying Bellsouth stuff out too since they are our ISP they give us same type of stuff as Myspace and other things like that.

"AngelFire" and "geocities" are free web hosts. your in complete control of the content of your site. Facebook... is just a profile. In the same sense we could call our profile on CH a our website, which seems a bit silly.

Couldn't say about the ISP. most ISP's will give you server space, but you'll need to pay to register a proper domain name. (otherwise, for example, you might end up with something like www.mywebsite.BellSouth.com, which isn't really that bad).

It's possible to "host" a web site from your own PC, with, for example, IIS server. However, the only way anybody can access it is through your IP address, for example people would need to type in "http://64.96.12.127" in their browser. It becomes a more convenient name, (www.mysite.com) when you register the domain name, and pay for it. This will tell a local DNS server about your page- it now knows that when somebody asks for www.mysite.com, it should tell them the IP address is 64.96.12.127. Most DNS servers are intertwined, so after a while other DNS servers will add this information to their database.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 10:58:46 AM »
Isn't uploading stuff like pictures and videos to the site still considered your own stuff?
We can put html stuff in our emails. I do actually have to sign into myspace using my email address, not the myspace email, but my bellsouth one.

On Webkinz and Kookeys we can do stuff like turn off the ads and stuff if we want to on the site.
On this other site I go to, only way to turn off ads is pay for an account. Which I paid for account on Webkinz and Kookeys by getting a pet and the account stuff comes with it and the space on the site to do everything. To keep things going we have to buy another pets before the expiration date it gives us for our account.
Yes, on my bellsouth site there is a content and layout section, edit account, so many other stuff. We can add a chatroom, guestbooks, anything we want.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 05:50:56 AM »
Yes, on my bellsouth site there is a content and layout section, edit account, so many other stuff. We can add a chatroom, guestbooks, anything we want.
Freewebs can do all that stuff too, but thats not really a site, thats a page within the freewebs site.
Where's MagicSpeed?

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 12:27:18 PM »
Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. Just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding anything with the definitions of things, also how is the words suppose to be written. I see so many different things- Is it together website or a space in between web and site? Also same with webpage? Is it web page? Also homepage too I keep sometimes getting a little mixed up all those terms seem so similar.

The only other reason I'm trying to find out too what is going on is wasn't sure if I'm maybe accidently hitting something to cause things to change or have a setting wrong somewhere that is causing things to change too. Since we also keep getting hacked and problems with viruses and spyware which I understand can do that stuff too. Last time I tried using notepad on my computer just to take some notes, someone was somehow typing over all my stuff and all these little dots..... kept appearing on the screen.
Not just with the computer, but also like with DVD's and stuff I keep having weird things happening with them and stuff erasing with them too and accidently hitting stuff I'm not sure what I accidently hit and how to fix things.
I had some setting wrong in my Microsoft Word recently too that someone on here helped me fix something that was causing things to appear in all blue.
Also, right before my health got worse and is still not doing well, one thing that keeps happening causing my memory to not be to good anymore and me to forget everything, I was trying to help out my sister and her husband with their site for his new job. I kept having problems with crashing my computer and other similar weird things same as I just noticed on myspace and they are paying for theirs. So, not sure if there is a little something I'm not understanding or like I said, some setting causing things. I mostly just open my browser and then click new page after I login to where ever it is.
I'm also noticing it seems Microsoft Word and other things can create things too, and still not too sure if this is ok? Some places I read seem to say stuff I don't know if I understand what they mean about it adding stuff to the pages? Currently my nephew who  is an Accountant is having to take a web design class and they are using Microsoft Word and when I asked him if he heard of CSS, he hasn't heard of it either. Plus now is looking like, did I sign up for the wrong class years ago too when I took this Computer Concepts and Applications class. We did webpages in it, but also used like Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, stuff like that and had to save it as a webpage and webpage preview stuff. It had templates, layouts we choose from.
The only other thing too since I'm not doing web pages for a job, only for a hobby. I just want to be able to share pictures I have with others is the only reason, then I also like to decorate things too. So, it feels enough to me, I get to change things like the colors of things and myspace and other things like that do allow me to choose from so many different backgrounds and stuff. Plus since I love helping people, I like to put links to other people's sites on mine to help them out.

The only other little thing too I get a bit mixed up on is the tags thing. Like what brackets to use. Sometimes I see [] then sometimes I see things typed out in between () or <> {}

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 12:32:52 PM »
The only other little thing too I get a bit mixed up on is the tags thing. Like what brackets to use. Sometimes I see [] then sometimes I see things typed out in between () or <> {}

<> is used for HTML tags, examples:
Code: [Select]
<html>, <body>, <div>, <b>, <head>

[] is used for BBCode tags (on forums like this), examples:
[b], [i], [url], [img], [u]

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 01:48:27 PM »
Currently my nephew who  is an Accountant is having to take a web design class and they are using Microsoft Word and when I asked him if he heard of CSS, he hasn't heard of it either.
CSS is a technique used in designing websites.  It is not a feature of Microsoft Word, as far as word processing is concerned.

Currently my nephew  Plus now is looking like, did I sign up for the wrong class years ago too when I took this Computer Concepts and Applications class. We did webpages in it, but also used like Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, stuff like that and had to save it as a webpage and webpage preview stuff. It had templates, layouts we choose from.
Yes, Word and PowerPoint have the option to save documents as web pages but they put a lot of extra code in the web page file that isn't needed.  This makes them a poor choice for creating web pages.

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. Just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding anything with the definitions of things, also how is the words suppose to be written. I see so many different things- Is it together website or a space in between web and site? Also same with webpage? Is it web page? Also homepage too I keep sometimes getting a little mixed up all those terms seem so similar.

Using website as one word has become commonly accepted.  Similarly, dictionary.com shows webpage or Web page as both being acceptable, and likewise for homepage or home page, although it seems to indicate home page as perhaps being the more acceptable use for that case.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2009, 05:03:26 PM »
What I don't understand, why then do the classes have us use stuff like Microsoft Word if it isn't a good choice to use?
What do you mean too about it adding extra coding?

Does CSS stand for Cascading Style Sheets?
Microsoft Word has the help feature and I typed in CSS and here is a bit of what comes up-
About attaching cascading style sheets
You can use Microsoft Word to attach, remove, and manage cascading style sheets (CSS) for Web pages. Cascading style sheets provide a convenient way to format several Web pages or a whole Web site. To change the format of the pages, you can make changes to the style sheet without having to edit each Web page.
You can use Word to attach more than one style sheet. For example, you might have a style sheet that's part of a large Web site, such as one for a university, and then another style sheet that defines a smaller group of related pages, such as one for a department within the university.
You can also determine which style sheet takes precedence over another, in case conflicting styles are defined for the same elements.
When you attach a style sheet to your Web page in Word, the styles will appear in the Styles and Formatting task pane.

Then it also has other stuff too to read about how to attatch a cascading style sheet, detach a cascading style sheet, change the order of cascading style sheets, so many other things.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2009, 05:29:54 PM »
What do you mean too about it adding extra coding?
When you save a html file via word (or any office program that can save as html), it adds virtually useless header coding saying that the page was created with word (or the office program of your choice).
Where's MagicSpeed?

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2009, 06:25:35 PM »
Sorry, but I still have no idea what you mean by it adding heading? I don't seem to see what it's adding. I see what I type out and don't seem to see any of that. Isn't a header the same thing as a title too?
That's all I see whenever I view things created, so I guess I must not be understanding this.
I thought everything on the computer was considered Office programs.

Also, do you need a client in order to view websites? That's another thing I don't know if I understand. See whenever I have problems with the internet, and I go in chatroom on Bellsouth and they ask me what client. I didn't think you could view websites through Outlook Express. So, I never know how to answer them. and then they say stuff too about headers too, like when I'm having problems with my emails they says something about including the originating IP address and stuff like that in the message headers. Is that what you mean about headers in Office programs?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2009, 06:29:29 PM »
Standard, empty, HTML page.

<HTML>
<HEAD>
    <TITLE>Title here.</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
</BODY>
</HTML>

empty word document, saved as a web page:

<html xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

<head>
<meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<meta name=ProgId content=Word.Document>
<meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 11">
<meta name=Originator content="Microsoft Word 11">
<link rel=File-List href="Doc1_files/filelist.xml">
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:DocumentProperties>
  <o:Author>############</o:Author>
  <o:LastAuthor>############</o:LastAuthor>
  <o:Revision>1</o:Revision>
  <o:TotalTime>0</o:TotalTime>
  <o:Created>2009-06-06T00:27:00Z</o:Created>
  <o:LastSaved>2009-06-06T00:27:00Z</o:LastSaved>
  <o:Pages>1</o:Pages>
  <o:Company>BASeCamp Corporation</o:Company>
  <o:Lines>1</o:Lines>
  <o:Paragraphs>1</o:Paragraphs>
  <o:Version>11.5606</o:Version>
 </o:DocumentProperties>
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <w:WordDocument>
  <w:PunctuationKerning/>
  <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
  <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>
  <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent>
  <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
  <w:Compatibility>
   <w:BreakWrappedTables/>
   <w:SnapToGridInCell/>
   <w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
   <w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
   <w:DontGrowAutofit/>
  </w:Compatibility>
  <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
 </w:WordDocument>
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156">
 </w:LatentStyles>
</xml><![endif]-->
<style>
<!--
 /* Style Definitions */
 p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{mso-style-parent:"";
margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
@page Section1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;
mso-header-margin:.5in;
mso-footer-margin:.5in;
mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}
-->
</style>
<!--[if gte mso 10]>
<style>
 /* Style Definitions */
 table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}
</style>
<![endif]-->
</head>

<body lang=EN-US style='tab-interval:.5in'>

<div class=Section1>

<p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>

</div>

</body>

</html>

this is what is meant by "extra crap"

I thought everything on the computer was considered Office programs.

Microsoft Office consists of Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access and in some versions Publisher. That's it.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2009, 06:36:33 PM »
this is what is meant by "extra crap"
I was going to put that in my previous post...how did you know about that?! Damnit! BC GAVE ME A KEYLOGGER!!! BC GIVES KEYLOGGERS! Jk...

Office programs always add that header junk to html files, but if you use a specific program for making HTML files (like Dreamweaver), then it probably won't.
Where's MagicSpeed?