Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: xp passwords and identity  (Read 2602 times)

Dr._Jalali

xp passwords and identity
« on: May 19, 2005, 08:50:05 AM »
every time my kids use my computer, something goes wrong--the mouse doesn't move, my spell check for word disappears, whatever.  So, I put in a password. Now, they are taking a computer class, and need to use the program "Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0".  Is there anyway I can develop an "identity" for them, specifiying that they can use this program but no other, or on the other hand, ruling out certain programs, like control panel, word.  In short, how can I find peaceful co-existence with these guys?
thanks

Kablam

Re: xp passwords and identity
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 09:13:41 AM »
There is plenty of pearental control programs. Download or buy some of this software. make them an account and install it on that spacific account (not your own) It will then run and you should be able to modify EXACTLY what they can and cannot do

Dr._Jalali

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 10:11:08 AM »
thanks.  I think what I wanted to say was that:  on the XP program there is a place to set up a password, which I did, and to set up and "administrator" who is me; now, what about the other "identities" that XP offers to be set up alongside the administrator.  Can I use that to give them their access to what they need and keep them out of the rest?  Where I live, we don't have access to that kind of software you are saying, and we can't buy things through the internet. sigh.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 10:22:52 AM »
Dr. J:

Are you using Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home?