Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: please help me it is an emergency  (Read 4745 times)

440-rt

Topic Starter

Starter

please help me it is an emergency
    « on: June 08, 2009, 05:53:24 AM »
    I have a failing drive and need to copy it using x copy I think it is finding the failing drive as drive F:

I want to copy it to a new folder on my C: drive but need to make the folder first to put the drive in.

Can someone please help me make a new folder and copy the failing drive to to the C: drive new folder.

thanks for the help

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: please help me it is an emergency
    « Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 08:05:07 AM »
    At Windows start run type cmd

At command shell type cd\.

At C:\> type md foldername    ((( foldername being say driveC )))

next enter at the C:\>

xcopy f:\*.* c:\foldername\*.* /s/d/y     ((( replacing foldername with say driveC if you used that name )))

if the drive is healthy enough you will get all your data. If there are bad sectors your system may copy data until it hits the bad sector and fails if this is the case you can try to run scandisk on the F:\ drive to try to patch the bad sectors and then try the process above again.

Depending on how much data you have this can take a while, andbe sure drive C:\ had adequate space to take all of F:\ or you will run out of HD space on the C:\ drive

440-rt

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 08:51:38 AM »
      I did it but it copied 153 files that I didn't recognize and said not enough disk space.  The drive I am trying to copy is 80 GB to a C: drive of 250 GB free. I am in the vista dos prompt

is there something else I can do since it appears dos can see the drive but windows can't? I ran spinrite and it can see the info too. I just need to get the files off then i can trash the drive.

ALAN_BR

Hopeful

• Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 09:19:43 AM »
        I recommend Teracopy from http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php

Very real benefits for you include :-

* Error recovery. In case of copy error, TeraCopy will try several times and
          in the worse case just skips the file, not terminating the entire transfer.

* Interactive file list. TeraCopy shows failed file transfers and lets you fix
          the problem and recopy only problem files.

I am happy with the Free portable version
        There is a Pro version also, but I only spend money when the free version is inadequate.

Regards
        Alan

gpl

Apprentice
          « Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 09:46:55 AM »
          Not sure if this is appropriate, but if you try to copy a file >4Gb to a FAT formatted drive, you get just that error message (not enough space)

If your C: drive is fat formatted and your F: drive is ntfs, then that is likely to be the problem

Graham

440-rt

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 11:36:56 AM »
            is there a way around it?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Certifications: List
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 12:37:33 PM »
            Not sure if this is appropriate, but if you try to copy a file >4Gb to a FAT formatted drive, you get just that error message (not enough space)

If your C: drive is fat formatted and your F: drive is ntfs, then that is likely to be the problem

Graham

if he's running Vista from a 250GB C: drive, I doubt it's FAT :P

I recommend Teracopy from http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php

Very real benefits for you include :-

* Error recovery. In case of copy error, TeraCopy will try several times and
              in the worse case just skips the file, not terminating the entire transfer.

* Interactive file list. TeraCopy shows failed file transfers and lets you fix
              the problem and recopy only problem files.

I am happy with the Free portable version
            There is a Pro version also, but I only spend money when the free version is inadequate.

Regards
            Alan

XCOPY can do the very same thing. /C can be used to continue copying if an error occurs.

Also, since there is the option to only copy files that already exist, as well as a way to output files that would be copied, one can redirect the output from that display of possible files with the switch to only show those that already exist in the destination, and, on a subsequent use that list of files that do exist in the destination as the /EXCLUDE: parameter.

It takes a little thought but the same functionality that "teracopy" offers is reproducable via XCOPY, thanks to it's large number of options.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

ALAN_BR

Hopeful

• Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 04:15:11 PM »
              I agree xcopy can do this sort of thing

I like the fact that if Teracopy has a problem getting a good copy, it will automatically make several repeated attempts before moving on, with no manual intervention

Additionally it checksums each source file and each destination copy, and compares the results, and gives a nice summary of the failures.

Regards
              Alan