Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New webber  (Read 7973 times)

Mulreay

Re: New webber
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 01:14:17 PM »
Ok cheers KPac don't want to confuse myself anymore than is needed. Cheers for the input though.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 01:18:34 PM »
Okay then. If you ever want to look for it though, Google is your best friend (or maybe Yahoo).

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 01:20:05 PM »
I think I get it now. So it confuses the website into thinking that another server is requesting the page and repeats this continuous through 'zombie pc's' making the site use up lots of memory dealing with these multiple requests effectively disabling the site's ability to deal with real traffic. I'm probably missing the point but I think I understand what your saying.

Exactly! except, it isn't just memory, but network bandwidth, server CPU time, etc.

By "Zombie PCs" I meant the group of PCs a hacker controls, often without the user knowing (well, usually without them knowing) via trojans and whatnot, they get control over the remote PC and compromise it, and often times they will launch further attacks from that PC, making it difficult to trace the real attacker. All of this happens right under their nose! In any case, once the hacker has control over them, he can get them all to do the same thing- in this case, request a web page from a server- using a crafted packet that uses the wrong "return address". So the server get's these millions of requests from PCs all over the world, and each one identifies it's origin as the other site. the server dutifully sends that other site the data all these PCs requested, which confuses the bejesus out of the recipient, since it never requested it.

So both if the servers will have their capacity reduced. Generally big-name companies not only have multiple servers but also a method of detecting these illegitimate packets, not to mention other checks and balances, so really the hacker will need to be far more clever, perhaps <<<DOING SOMETHING CLEVER>>>.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 01:23:46 PM »
Do I have to remove malicious content from that post? ;D

perhaps redirecting the request to proxy servers all around the world which subsequently all redirect that response to a single server elsewhere.
That might give someone ideas...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
except, they would need to be in control of the proxy as well.

Besides, I'm just making half of this up as I go along. I'm surprised I've gone this long without some abstracted reference to peanut butter, actually.

Mulreay

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 01:49:24 PM »
So and I'm not asking how, but just the basic idea of how it's done. The proxy is the go-between for the client and the server yes? It's like a filter station? How would any body take control of something like that. As I said I don't want the method just the theory. I find this very interesting as it explains a lot of what you read about. I mean is the proxy not controlled by the ISP?

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 01:54:25 PM »
If you have your own server, you can set up a proxy.

Mulreay

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 02:06:20 PM »
But will they not have there own Proxy to filter out your attempt?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 02:08:38 PM »
a proxy is just a computer that relays information from a client to some other server. Basically, it "hides" the client from the actual server, since as far as the server is concerned it's connecting to the proxy. Same goes for the client, IE, if an ISP were to block all web pages from competing firms (LOL) then running through a proxy, the ISP will simply see it as such- connecting to the proxy IP, which is not a competing firm. but then the proxy is simply relaying information from that "banned" web page.

getting control of a proxy- assuming you don't own it, is the same as any other PC on the internet.

Mulreay

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 02:13:06 PM »
Got you thanks BC makes a lot more sense now. Cheers BC, KPac it was good to learn something new.