Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Pavilion DVD/CD-RW Drive not recognizing DVDs's  (Read 1906 times)

iHeadbanger

Topic Starter

Rookie

• i r admiral
    HP Pavilion DVD/CD-RW Drive not recognizing DVDs's
    « on: June 08, 2009, 08:09:08 PM »
    Good day, and thank you for reading. I have a really annoying problem on my hands. Recently, I got a HP Pavilion ze5600rs laptop from my father since he no longer saw use in it (having a modern Dell Inspiron). Now, a few hours ago, I got an information package from the Army ROTC with a DVD in it. I popped it in, and... nothing (this is the first time I wanted to use a DVD in it since I formatted the hard drive).

The drive reads regular CD's perfectly fine, but it doesn't even recognize that a DVD is in the disk tray. I know that it is able to read them because... well, it says so on the side, and it is labeled as DVD/CD-RW Drive (D:) in the My Computer window. When I click it however, it says it's a CD drive; is it supposed to say that it's a DVD/CD-RW drive like it is labeled as? I have also installed InterVideo WinDVD 4 from the HP site, and still nothing.

I would very much appreciate any and all help. Thanks again for reading.
    "*censored* is a Google?"

Mulreay

Re: HP Pavilion DVD/CD-RW Drive not recognizing DVDs's
    « Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 08:30:55 PM »
    CD/DVD drives have two different lasers. The DVD drive laser gets burnt out more often than not because of burning. Your DVD laser is dead to this world. It's that simple. Your CD laser will continue but unless you replace the DVD drive (external) cheaper it will stay that way.

iHeadbanger

Topic Starter

Rookie

• i r admiral
      « Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 08:41:07 PM »
      :(

Aww... Oh well, I guess. Thank you for your help, Mulreay. I appreciate it.
      "*censored* is a Google?"

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 08:45:51 PM »
      No problem at all matey..