Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: testing the "system recovery options" cd for vista  (Read 2869 times)

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
    testing the "system recovery options" cd for vista
    « on: June 09, 2009, 05:12:50 AM »
    Hello

I finally got round to creating the "system recovery options " cd for windows vista
    But what i am worried about is testing it out.

I know i would have to make sure the CD/DVD drive is listed first in the boot order, but its the options that i am not sure about.

Like what do i do when i get to "repair your computer" not sure about this one as it doe's not need repairing.

Also when i do get to the "system recovery options" screen what do i click on.
    As i am only testing this out, i don't want to be messing it up.

Startup repair
    system restore
    Windows complete pc restore
    windows memory diagnostics tool
    Command prompt

completely confused as someone said, when you create this cd, just test it to see if it works.

Any instructions for this if you just want to test it.....    :)
    windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

Laptop Toshiba.  L300/L300D series/windows vista home premium/
    2gb ram/32 bit/

Windows 7 / home premium / 64 bit /3gb system ram /

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: testing the "system recovery options" cd for vista
    « Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 08:38:58 AM »
    If you have a spare HS handy and a magic marker I would label the spare HD ""TEST"" and remove your hard drive and place this hard drive in place of it. Then restore and follow the steps to recovery. If successful your all set you can then remove the test drive and put original drive back in, and set the test drive off to the side in case your system crashes and getting it back up and running could be as easy as swapping hard drives instead of a rebuild from CD or DVD

Being back up and running if just a hard drive data problem would be like a 5 minute process swapping drives on a desktop/tower system usually unless you have a DELL or HP with a burried hard drive.

potere scuro

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 12:52:25 PM »
      I believe Dave's answer to be right. i search the internet for a little bit and didn't find anything else.
      sorry  good luck
      Death is a relief, An end of pain.

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
        « Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 03:30:32 PM »
        If you have a spare HS handy and a magic marker I would label the spare HD ""TEST"" and remove your hard drive and place this hard drive in place of it. Then restore and follow the steps to recovery. If successful your all set you can then remove the test drive and put original drive back in, and set the test drive off to the side in case your system crashes and getting it back up and running could be as easy as swapping hard drives instead of a rebuild from CD or DVD

Being back up and running if just a hard drive data problem would be like a 5 minute process swapping drives on a desktop/tower system usually unless you have a DELL or HP with a burried hard drive.

Hello, DaveLembke

At the moment this is for a new laptop, but anyway i have never really done anything like the above before, so i would not know how to do it anyway.

But as i said in my post, i was following instructions to create a "system recovery options" cd , but that was about it.
        It did not tell you how you could test it, but i have just found this artical, which is simaler to what i did, only this tells you how to test it.

Its about a quarter of the way down on the web page, with you having better knowledge than me , can you tell me if this is ok.
        And it is quite save  to try this testing myself..

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?m=200802&paged=2     :)

Thanks also for you reply   potere scuro

windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

Laptop Toshiba.  L300/L300D series/windows vista home premium/
        2gb ram/32 bit/

Windows 7 / home premium / 64 bit /3gb system ram /