Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: gtx 280 only gving poor resloution  (Read 2201 times)

SwiftStriker00

Topic Starter

Starter

gtx 280 only gving poor resloution
    « on: June 09, 2009, 08:53:09 AM »
    Current Setup I have running:
    Windows Vista x64 (Business)
    Evga 780i SLi FTW Mobo
    Evga Geforce gtx 280 Graphics card
    2x2gig RAM G.Skill
    Intel Core 2 Quad Core Processor
    Thermaltake 850W PSU
    Acer 22"w LCD Monitor (primary) and HP 15" LCD Monitor (secondary)
    --------------
    OK my problem is that my maximum that I can get is a maximum resolution of 1024x768 for both my monitors (since thats plenty for my 15", im not to worried) but I know my 22" wide outputs 1680x1050 because I used to have a GeForce 9800 gx2 that output that. I have called EVGA several times, but the following solutions they gave me didn't work:
    -re-seating card and trying other pci-e slots
    -increasing voltage in bios manually from 100 to 104
    -I have both most up to date video and mobo drivers
    -I wiped my partition before I put the 280 in the computer, so OS is stable.
    -PSU is giving out proper volt and amps.
    -switch dvi ports for monitor( and only use one)

When I go to either Personalize>Dispaly Settings or Nvidia Control Panel. the sliders only go as high 1024x768, and when I try and use the Nvidia Control Panel's set custom resolution to 1680x1050 at any refresh rate, it just says failed test, and reverts back. Also booting full screen games, i only get max resolution of 1024x768.

Some computer history:
    couple of months ago I was loosing feed to the monitor when windows loaded, thats when i sent my 9800gx2 for RMA and got back the gtx280, but that didn't change anything (free upgrade :) ) it ended up being that they pushed a new driver out a month before my issues. Updating that solved the problem. (Not sure if its related to my current problem but I figure telling you might help)

Anyone have any ideas how i can get my comp up to 1680x1050 resolution?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: gtx 280 only gving poor resloution
    « Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 10:04:02 AM »
    Are you using VGA or DVI or another connection type. I saw an issue one with VGA not taking the hi-res, but switching to DVI cable fixed that. Also do you have the driver for you monitor installed so it is detecting the native res of the 22" display.

thebled

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
      Are you using dual monitors? Cause if you are I think you have them linked try unplugging the 15'' and try using the 22''.

SwiftStriker00

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 04:29:50 PM »
        I am currently using my 22" straight dvi connection, and my 15" has a vga that converts to dvi.

I also have tried using each of the monitors by themselves, testing each port, sadly it didn't change a thing

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 04:46:14 PM »
        I can guarantee to you it isn't the card- my ancient Rage Pro 3d goes up to 1600x1200.

it's a problem with either the display drivers or the chipset drivers.

Now, you say you encountered issues with the newest drivers before, with a loss of monitor signal. have you tried downgrading to a previous nVidia reference driver to see if that helps?

Also, Another issue might be that your 15" only supports 1024x768. You'll need to boot the PC with ONLY the 22" in the primary VGA slot, in order for the driver to read the DDC data from it and act appropriately. Worst case scenario, you can do this:

start-up with the 22" as the main display.

(I believe your using vista... so)

right-click desktop, Personalize, Display settings.

Click the "advanced" button.

Select the "monitor" tab.

Take note of the "monitor type" it lists here. Is it right? does it reflect your 22"?

If you want to force the display settings page to show ALL the available resolutions of your video card, uncheck "hide modes that this monitor cannot display". Also, if your refresh rate is set to a high value, set it back to 60 and see if you can now change the resolution higher.

Since 60Hz is not enough for a lot of people to notice flicker, you might want to change it back after this.

Hope this helps!
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

SwiftStriker00

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 07:48:45 PM »
          Well i tried all that and nothing worked.... Though Someone else told me to use a vga cable instead of a dvi cable. This worked, problem is it is a hassle to use this cable ( i will have to move cables everytime i want to play xbox). So if we know its working through vga does this mean i have a busted dvi cable or what?