Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need Correct Syntax for Using Microsoft Rich Copy 4.0 Utility  (Read 13122 times)

HSACDM

Topic Starter

Starter

Does anyone know how to use Microsoft Rich Copy 4.0 Utility?  What is the correct syntax structure for using this software.  I need to copy a large volume of files and thought it would be easier to use since it's GUI, but I don't know the correct syntax to use it because I keep getting "The system cannot find the specified path" error.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.   I've read the help file and it does not have a section for dealing with errors.  I've also searched the internet for more information to no avail.  I've tried to use XCOPY and ROBOCOPY, but I was unsuccessful.  I really don't know how to create a batch file.  I'm using a Dell Precision 490 desktop with Windows XP.  ??? ???

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Need Correct Syntax for Using Microsoft Rich Copy 4.0 Utility
    « Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 04:41:06 PM »
    "The system cannot find the specified path"

The above error message is not generated by Rich Copy but by your Operating System (XP) when looking for either the Source or Destination path.  The error could be that the Source or Destination folder does not exist or that there is (are) space(s) in the Foldername or Path to that folder.

Can you post the entries you are making in the Source and Destination paths dialog boxes.

Edit to strike-through previous response: Have done some digging and find that Rich Copy will open Destination folders which have spaces and will open Source paths with spaces, both without the need for double quote " "..  The only time I have generated Error Code 3 is when the Source path\folder does not exist.

Attached are a couple of screenshots showing the results when (1) the source path cannot be found and (2) when Source and Destination paths are acceptable.  Note that the folder D:\temp\does not exist\ did not exist and was created by Rich Copy.  Error codes displayed are due to (a) the file being in use and (b) the job being terminated by user intervention.

[attachment deleted by admin]
    « Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 02:12:40 AM by Dusty »
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

hot dog

Re: Need Correct Syntax for Using Microsoft Rich Copy 4.0 Utility
    « Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 05:15:05 PM »
    try using quotes in your command line, like this, for example:

copy c:\sourceFOLDER\"large folder or file to be copied" c:\experimentFOLDER\destinationFOLDER

If the folder or file you are copying has spaces in it's name, like this: Large Folder or File, you'll have to use quotes around it to tell the computer to recognize it as ONE object

If there are folders inside the directory you wish to copy from, you will have to use the XCOPY command and add the /s switch to the end of the command line, like this:  xcopy c:\sourceFolder\"large folder to be
    copied" c:\experimentFolder\destinationFolder /s

If there are a LOT of files an folders to be copied, give it a few minutes to complete after you enter the command and press ENTER

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:59:10 AM by blockHEAD »