Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MS Word embeds figure images in cross references!  (Read 2465 times)

wordsworth

MS Word embeds figure images in cross references!
« on: June 12, 2009, 07:42:42 AM »
Hello,
I have a very strange problem working with a large (14 MB) document in Microsoft Word.
The document has lots of figures which I have captioned and numbered using the usual Insert>Reference>Caption... feature.

When I want to make a reference in the text to the figures I use the Insert>Reference>Cross Reference menu option and this works ok.

However, if the document is reformatted (or even printed), Word automatically reformats the cross references and embeds the figure graphics in the references' text. After this, each figure graphic appears as it did before, but now it additionally is included in the document body text everywhere the figure is referenced! So it creates a huge mess with figure graphics everywhere.

It happens for some, but not all, of the figures, and I can't see anything "different" about the ones where it happens. It doesn't happen for captioned tables.

Does anyone know what is going on? It is very confusing and driving me crazy.  >:(

Thanks,
wordsworth

---
system details:
Microsoft Word 2003 SP3
Windows Vista Business SP1
Endnote X.0 template add-ins (Endnote references work fine; problem is only with figures).