Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Anyone have a Samsung NC10 Netbook?  (Read 6551 times)

MomNEEDShelp

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: Anyone have a Samsung NC10 Netbook?
    « Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 09:55:27 PM »
    Where do you live? (state) LOL!!!!!!!!!

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 09:56:46 PM »
    Look at my profile :)

MomNEEDShelp

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 10:02:44 PM »
      Then I am safe....unless you have a private jet. ha-ha.  I am in NY.

But honestly, upon start-up, it absolutely asks how you want to partition. If you have time, check and you will see. I have read 100's of reviews but since they are all opinions, I wanted to know the best way to partition according to my needs.

Denise

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 10:05:13 PM »
      NY is not that far ;D
      I have an aunt there. I may come for a visit....

I already checked up your laptop.
      Give me the link with those absurds

MomNEEDShelp

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 10:13:07 PM »
        http://www.sammywiki.com/wiki/How_To:Partition_a_Netbook_Hard_Disk

Ya see, I am only using this new netbook to email & surf the net and maybe watch some hulu.com while on the road. I have nothing important and nothing that I care about enough to want to protect it by partitioning drives. I think most partition to keep Data seperate from the OS. To me, I don't think I give 2 craps about that as long as a recovery disc comes with it and I believe it does.

Now, IF the netbook will run faster being partitioned a certain way, I would want that.

Also, I have read that one must save some room for a recovery partition.  Huh???  I don't even understand what that is or what that means!!!   ???

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 10:23:06 PM »
        Denise, the link, you gave me has nothing to do with the laptop, you're buying.
        Here is your netbook: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-NC10-14GB-10-2-Inch-Netbook-Processor/dp/B001I45TA8
        It comes with Windows XP preinstalled.

MomNEEDShelp

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2009, 05:48:18 AM »
          Yes, that's it! But.....when you turn it on for the 1st time, it asks how you want to partition the HD. It recommends 1/2 to C: and 1/2 to D:   I think it also suggests to save some for recovery. (I don't understand why if it has recovery discs??)

Since I will have little data, should I do all to the C: drive?

If I give all to the C: Drive, I can still download movies/TV shows and other crap, right? It just means if it crashed, I would lose the data....yes???  Does the way I partition have anything to do with speed?

THANKS!!

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          « Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 09:07:13 AM »
          ...when you turn it on for the 1st time, it asks how you want to partition the HD.
          Why do you keep insisting this is what will happen when Broni had stated, and as all other experienced users know, that this is not true.  Computer manufacturers for the general consumer market simply do not sell their computers in a way which requires buyers to have to partition the hard drive before they can use the computer.  This really just makes common sense; think about it.  Manufacturers know that such a practice would probably result in an immense technical support burden since many, perhaps a large majority of, new users would need assistance with this.   

As Broni has stated, the new computer will have Windows already installed and will be ready to use.

MomNEEDShelp

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 09:22:38 AM »
            As you will see in the link below, it states you do not HAVE TO partition (meaning you can dedicate all to C: drive)  BUT you do have to choose/decide HOW you want it set up when you start the machine. I am not being difficult. I have read hundreds of reviews prior to my purchase. Something must be chosen and I was asking which was best for my simple needs. Some want to keep XP on C: and the data and other files on D: drive.    I think I am going to give the full 160 to the C: drive.

Granted partitioning is not the norm when you get a new computer or laptop, it is how Samsung set up this NC10 netbook.

http://www.sammywiki.com/wiki/How_To:Partition_a_Netbook_Hard_Disk

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #24 on: June 12, 2009, 09:36:27 AM »
            Please post links to some of your sources.  http://www.sammywiki.com/wiki/How_To:Partition_a_Netbook_Hard_Disk is a general discussion of partitioning, not a statement that new NC10 netbooks must be partitioned before they can be used.  I see no mention of having to partition it at http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/samsung-nc10-blue/4505-3121_7-33343697.html

MomNEEDShelp

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2009, 09:53:58 AM »
              All I can tell ya is I read many reviews, which said you must choose how you want the HD partitioned, before making my purchase. The link provided is of actual buyers' comments. They are not the best 'sources' I have read but I did not save the others. Notice how every user mentions partitioning. They are describing how they chose to partition upon first start up when prompted to do so. Also, I have seen many "non-technical" people like me in Samsung NC10 forums asking what to do (percentage wise) about partitioning upon set-up.

Mine will arrive at around 7PM EST. I think the best is the entire 160 to C: drive for me. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-content-search/results/ref=cm_srch_q_rtr/?query=C&search-alias=community-reviews&idx.asin=B001I45TA8

soybean

Genius
              « Reply #26 on: June 12, 2009, 10:09:31 AM »
              Well, if it does, indeed, work that way, I'm sure Samsung has designed this so that you will only have to answer some questions, including the hard drive issue, and the system will proceed with setup.  Based on what you've said, I would agree you have no substantial need to partition.  So, you might as well allocate the full drive to one partition, being C.

MomNEEDShelp

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2009, 10:13:45 AM »
                Super Duper!!  Thanks so much. My b-day gift arrives in 7 hours but who's counting.  ;)

Have a great weekend.   ;D

Denise