Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help -- Windows Media Player started to play some video upside down.  (Read 7492 times)

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
My dad's old P3 computer that runs windows 2000 he uses has a problem ...

one video he has on the pc, he tried playing with windows media player, it appears to play fine except the video is upside down and I don't know how to fix it. He says he installed K-Lite codec pack on the machine and has tested with the media player classic.

However, in the windows explorer, where you can preview the clip on the left, it plays it correctly without that upside down error. What's going on and anybody got a solution?

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Experience: Experienced

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0075.mspx#EFH
Bottom of the page.

Broni, thanks but I forgot to say that I have already attempted doing what the little blurb from that M$ link that you posted suggested, even before you posted your reply to my above question and still the problem still exists. Have attempted reinstalling klite codec pack and it still has that problem.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
Get VLC Player: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Thanks Broni, I'll give VLC a shot, hopefully it would work. I was wondering why the audio is fine but picture is upside down on that video, it worked fine the last time I was home, and now my dad said he wanted to rewatch it but it's backwards, like I was saying in my initial post.

I assume VLC uses its own built in codecs to playback video so does not need a separate codec pack along with the player itself?

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
Exactly.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
I was wondering why the audio is fine but picture is upside down on that video

Australian CODEC?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
 ;D      ;D
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
haha. the video was an avi file (xvid or divx, I don't know because I hadn't checked it's properties descriptions) ... some ghostly video that is ...  ;D

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
Downloading the Xvid and/or DivX codec might fix this.

I've found the Klite codec pack doesn't seem to play all DivX and Xvid encoded videos anymore.

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
Downloading the Xvid and/or DivX codec might fix this.

I've found the Klite codec pack doesn't seem to play all DivX and Xvid encoded videos anymore.

I have not had a problem on my own vista machine with klite codec pack. Maybe I do need to get my dad the xvid or the divx codec on his old win 2k machine. Maybe that will play the video without the upside down picture.  ;D

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
Some videos use non-standard proprietary codecs that no player will play properly. For example, Blizzard Entertainment's video files use a special codec, but they are at heart just MPG or AVI, I can't remember which. Also, floating around on the internet is that proprietary codec. Without it, some players play these videos upside down, some reversed, some just won't play them at all. Even the almighty VLC can't play them properly without the proprietary codec.

This wouldn't somehow be the case here would it? Any idea of the origins of this one file?

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
it's a standard video, like I said klite codec pack played it fine first time, but now apparently it's borked like I mentioned in my initial post and no setting has been changed on the computer (I'm guaranteeing that much)

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
Ok-- sorry for the really late post on this topic ... but I tried VLC and now the video is fine.  ;D

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
Cool :)