Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista search facility  (Read 3014 times)

henell

Topic Starter

Beginner

Vista search facility
    « on: June 16, 2009, 02:43:26 AM »
    Seeking help please if possible. I am running Vista Premium, SP1 (have not downloaded SP2 on the advice of friends?). Dual Core, 1 Gig RAM.
    Question is this.
    When I first got the computer, when one clicked on the start button, it brought up a box with various options on it, including Control Panel, Help and Support etc. I seem to recall that it also had a search button also, which I recall was lost when some update was done, although that might be a symptom of advancing “oldtimers disease”. :-)) I seem to recall using it to search for files, but it is no longer there.,
    I find the current search button which opens with "Start" to be useless.
    However, when I go through the following routine, Start, Help and Support, windows basics, then type in the search box, “Find a file”, brings up Find a file or folder, click on the “Find a file using the search folder”, scroll down to “Click to open “search”, which then allows you to do an "advanced search", selecting folders, drives etc.
    My query is, how does one manage to get a shortcut to get to that “search” tab, without going through that rigmarole? I do find the Start and help and support search facilities pathetic.
    Thanks in anticipation.

Mulreay

Re: Vista search facility
    « Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 04:40:26 AM »
    Is the following picture what you see when you click the start button? I find no problems what so ever finding files using this search.
    Plus SP2 may be the way forward. I've got it and have had no noticeable problems.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 09:14:36 PM »
    Windows search has been always a horrible tool. On my Vista, it won't half of the files, which are really there.
    I recommend some 3rd party application.
    I use SuperFinder: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/Super-Finder.shtml
    It installs itself under right click menu.

henell

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 07:05:49 AM »
      Thanks Broni, I will give it a whirl. I stand in awe of the knowledge of you blokes :D

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 11:38:24 AM »
      but there are always people like me who find windows search did just fine, so don't give up windows search if it is not giving you grief.  ;D